Health Insurance Health insurance for pregnant girlfriend

FANTANA

Recently discovered my girlfriend is pregnant. We are both in our mid twenties and healthy. We currently have no insurance and from my research today it appears that we cannot claim on maternity health care costs for 52 weeks. This is fine as we will be be going down the public route for the pregnancy anyway. My question is if I take out insurance before the child is born will any post birth complications and medical expenses be covered without a waiting period? If they are what is the best policy to take out for mother and child? At the moment I will leave myself off the policy as money will be tight.

FANTANA,

There is a 26 week waiting time for new customers before hospital cover kicks in, unless its an injury caused in an accident.
So, if you take out health insurance for your girlfriend now, that six month waiting would be served before the birth. So, hospital cover would be allowed at that stage. There is no waiting time for day to day expenses like gp, dental, etc - most plans allow half the cost of these expenses which are paid for upfront and claimed back by refund after a year on the plan.
http://www.hia.ie/consumer-information/waiting-periods/new-customer-waiting-periods

If you add the new baby onto the policy within 13 weeks after birth, he/she will be covered for free until the next renewal date.
The baby will be covered for free GP visits, under 6s new scheme.

The following 2 plans are worth considering at the moment as follows;
1. VHI Plan PMI 40 15; price per adult 935pa, all public and private hospitals covered, no gp day to day cover.
Note; this plan will increase in price on 2 January 2016 to 1009pa, so it is good value before that date, otherwise option 2 would be the better value.

2. Laya Plan Simply Connect; price per adult 999pa, all public, private and hi-tech hospitals covered. Good day to day cover included, 50% refund for gp visits, dental, etc. maximum refund 300 per year.

[broken link removed]

You can take out a policy just for a child, with VHI if it suits. You put one adult as the named person on the policy.
Just as an alternative option if you just want to insure the new baby.

Regards, Snowyb

Last edited:
Hi Snowy,

Thanks a million for that. I think I'll go for the laya plan simply connect. I think it'll be worth it for peace of mind if nothing else.

Back