Health insurance for 21 yr old student

Tammy123

I'm looking for health insurance for my 21 year old daughter - my husband and I are with Laya but last year I found a cheaper, less comprehensive insurance for her as she is young and healthy and we felt a lower policy was sufficient! The policy is VHI one plan and the renewal is coming in at €523.02 (with a €125 excess for private hospitals). I'd appreciate any advice if this is the best one or if there is a possible cheaper option?

Hi Tammy123,

The following 3 plans are worth considering for a 21 year old;

1. VHI PMI 37 13; price 520pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered. Private/hi-tech excess 100 per admission and per day case
procedure. No excess to pay in any public hospital. Limited day to day cover on this plan.

2. VHI Company Plan Plus Level 1.2; price 542pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech excess 150 per admission
and 50 per day case procedure. Good day to day cover included, 1 euro excess, refund of 50% per gp visit, consultant, dental, optical etc.

3. VHI One Plan 150; price 459pa; all public and private hospitals covered, some Beacon hospital cover, private excess capped at 150 x 2 for all private admissions (regardless of how many per year in a private hospital) and 150 per day case procedure. Limited day to day cover on this plan.

https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/#/plan-comparison?plansAndProfiles=W3siaWQiOjEsImFnZSI6MjEsIm1pbk1heFByaWNlIjpbMCw3MDBdLCJtaW5NYXhFeGNlc3MiOlswLDYwMF0sInBsYW5UeXBlIjoxLCJwbGFuc1NlbGVjdGVkIjpbNzkwLDgzNSw3MCw4MDVdLCJwbGFucyI6eyJkYXRhIjpbXSwibG9hZGluZyI6dHJ1ZX0sInBsYW5zU2VsZWN0ZWREYXRhIjpbXSwiYXBwbGljYXRpb24iOnsidG9nZ2xlX3Njcm9sbExvY2siOmZhbHNlLCJwbGFuX2RldGFpbF9pZCI6LTF9fV0=

Regards, Snowyb

Last edited:
Thanks, Snowyb! I went for the One Plan 150 on the grounds that she has access to college doctor and is generally healthy, and the excess is not 'excessive' :)

Back