Health Insurance Health insurance excess

Daffodils

I recently put in a claim for day to day expenses for my children for dental visits. They are entitled to €20 for one visit. They had previously been to the dentist but as they hadn’t reached the day to day excess at that point they weren’t entitled to the benefit, however this time whilst the excess had been exceeded the claims were rejected because the benefit was apparently used for the trip where no benefit was paid.

I’d appreciate any thoughts people have on this, it seems crazy to me that a claim not eligible for a benefit is considered to have received the benefit even though no refund was received.

You haven't indicated what the excess amount is, however what you need to do is add together all your eligible expenses (ie €20 for one dental visit, €xx for gp visits, etc, etc) and once it adds up to over the excess in your renewal year, you will get a benefit.

Just because you have two/three/four receipts for a dentist does not mean they are eligible to count towards the excess.

Hope this helps! It can be confusing

Thanks for that its a bit clearer to me now.

I went back to look at my policy documents again and it seems that to calculate the excess of €100 they use the amount I would have received as a benefit had the expense been eligible.I never understood that this was the way it was done. I had presumed it was based an what I spent not the benefit I was entitled to.

Back