Health expenses claim with Revenue

smndly

I'm belatedly completing the income tax return for 2023 for myself and my wife online using the myAccount portal.

I am able to claim health expenses for myself however when I move to my wife's tab, there is no health expenses tab available to select.

Does anyone have any idea why this would be the case?

We both are PAYE earners top rate of tax.
She was briefly on Jobseekers benefit for 3-4 weeks during the year which is only difference between us but not sure if relevant.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 20.00.03.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 20.00.03.png
    106 KB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 20.00.11.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 20.00.11.png
    89.1 KB · Views: 60
I had the same and just put our total health expenses under my name.

Someone else can hopefully reconfirm

1. I have found that if I compile the tax return and return to it later for co and mpletiion there is difficulty in placing the Medical Expenses for each person and the system nearly makes you claim both sets of expenses as "main" person.
2. I have found that if you start the entire process again (no big deal and takes just a few minutes; just delete previous figures) and then you can apportion the medical expenses for each individual.

Apologies for my misuse of some English.

I think you may be jointly assessed in practice but may not have formally opted for it which may be why the principal tax payer makes the claim - makes no difference for the claim,

@Leper may be jointly assessed or found an unusual glitch (!).

Thanks for response. I called Revenue and they confirmed that I can claim all health expenses in my name. Strange that it applies to health but not to other expenses.

Back