Headstones

Lambchops65

Hi there,

I'm trying to organise a family members headstone and grave surround. I have started to obtain costs and there seems to be a huge difference between companies.

Im looking at a simple modern headstone (with a double base) and a double height granite surround (with chippings) and inscription. It's a single plot. The prices I have received are €4,300 - €7,100.

Does anyone know what the standard cost for this is? I'm in the North Kildare area.

Thank you.

That would make sense - the customer has the option of travelling further to pay less but in many cases they don't, so the business opposite the gate to the cemetery makes a killing

Have you asked what the cost of just a headstone might be - leaving out the edging and gravel etc.,?

Many burial grounds are now what they call 'lawn only' and there's just the headstone allowed which makes it easier to maintain the grass and keep the place tidy.

There's is some advantage to engaging a supplier nearer to the location as they are likely more aware of any requirements/restrictions.

We found these people to be very good and were half the price of others. It seems to be a family run business and the service and attention to detail was excellent https://www.oneillmemorials.ie/ I'm sure they would travel if asked.

We did find that the on-site stone masons were generally more expensive so we shopped around.

There is an old Key Post here on funerals but unfortunately not much about headstones as the links would appear to be gone.

As mentioned above there's probably no such thing as a standard cost. Would also recommend to get a few quotes, the more the better.

Our family were amused to find that they had to pay a planning application fee just to have an inscription added to a headstone. The fees do appear to be over the top hence the reason for so many people going for cremations.

Thanks all. I have emailed both of the places mentioned here. That should give me 4 quotes and then I’ll decide.

To answer the above poster, nope this graveyard has full graves not just the headstones. I have seen those ones though with just a headstone and grass/lawn.

Interesting re distance v price! Both quotes I received were not local, but not too far away. One used to be local (the expensive one) & looking around the graveyard they seem to have the monopoly alright!

I paid 3.5k down in Cork 5 years ago for a simple but decent sized stone, surround and new stones. Family undertaker so he had got some business from us in the past so he probably factored that in.

Permit fees vary from council to council, €200 + VAT in Fingal, €50 in Carlow as an example

Hi all,

Just thought I'd post an update. I contacted the aforementioned companies and both were cheaper than my previous lower quote! So thank you both for those mentions, much appreciated. I just need to decide now on which one as only €400 between them.

Thank again & enjoy the long weekend :)

Back