Heads up if travelling to Dominican Republic.

robd10

My wife took ill on the final day of our holiday, actually waiting to be picked up for the airport. The consequences were we needed to book back into the hotel, treatment by a doctor and then hospitalisation. I rang my travel insurance, “Worldchoice”, which bravely claims in their policy “ Hospitals abroad will be guaranteed the appropriate fees thus eliminating the patient to make payment”, only to find that the guarantee does not extend to the Dominican. I had to pay hotel, doctor and hospital admittance by credit card and now have the wrangle of claiming the monies back.
My advice in hindsight is, contact the insurer to ensure his promises extend to the country your visiting. Have plenty of money available on your credit card because I certainly needed it.!!

My wife took ill in DR and we called VHI who took care of just about everything. 3 night stay in private hospital etc all paid for. Only things I paid for was ambulance & taxi's to get to hospital and back which were reimbursed by VHI promptly upon return.

I have my travel insurance with Quinn. I asked about Cuba - Cuba is covered on their worldwide policy.

My wife took ill in DR and we called VHI who took care of just about everything. 3 night stay in private hospital etc all paid for. Only things I paid for was ambulance & taxi's to get to hospital and back which were reimbursed by VHI promptly upon return.

I have my travel insurance with Quinn. I asked about Cuba - Cuba is covered on their worldwide policy.
So really it your annual health policy rather than your travel insurance that picked up the tab. I think the OP in common with a sizable portion of the population probably doesn't have health insurance

Back