Having digital photos printed.

Megan

I went into to my local photo shop last week with my very first card of digital photos. I told the girl I wasnt familar with how to have them process. She put the card into a self service machine and showed me how to imput how many prints I wanted of each shot. I ordered 65 photos that were repeats of alot of the shots on the card.
When I collected my photos I found part of people's heads chopped off quiet afew of my photos.( This wasnt shown up on the camera) I went back today and met with a different person and he told me it was a self service machine and the onous was on me to see that the photo frame up and that if I wanted them printed again he would have to charge me. I declined his offer and told him I wasnt happy with the service and had to leave because he wasnt prepared to listen to me.
This was not in a Boots style shop. It is a camera shop that sells cameras and prints photos. I think now I could have left the card with them and have them print the photos but on the day no one told me that. Anyone else have this experience.

never heard of this happening. did u have a look at them on a pc? then u would be able to see what will be printed.
www.bonusprint.ie is a cheap crowd and they are delivered by post and no annoying little gits in shops to deal with.

I have them on my Mac and they look ok. There is a little bit of space at the top of the person head. The little git (as you called him) said it was about the size 6 x 4 but I wasnt offered any other size. What really annoys me about this is the lack of info when I went into the shop and then for that to be used as an excuse when I went back to complain.

when they well displayed on the machine in the shop did they look ok? if so then you could say that this was misleading.

when they well displayed on the machine in the shop did they look ok? if so then you could say that this was misleading.
They looked ok until he selected to print them 6 x 4 and then there was a bit of cropping. If that had being shown to me on the day I went in first I would have being able to make a choose but today I was just told it was a self service machine so pot luck.

not very helpful, suppose all you can do is make a complaint to management and take the hit and get them done somewhere else. and never go back near them again and also make sure no one u know goes near them either.

not very helpful, suppose all you can do is make a complaint to management and take the hit and get them done somewhere else. and never go back near them again and also make sure no one u know goes near them either.
But I think the man I was dealing with was the manager. I wont be going back there.
Thanks for the space to rant about it.

I know the machines, but have never used one.

But I came across this problem when I first started using digital. The problem is that there is a slight difference between film and digital format.
For e.g digital usually take photo in this format
6" x 4½" (15cm x 11½cm)
While print is in this format
6"x4"
(15cm x 10cm)

This results in cropping if you don't resize them using software first.

Havey Normans have a good price at the moment e.g 6 X 4 19cent per picture which is good value. Some chemist do them at a good price we get 50 photos for 10euro

Had the exact same experience in Boots, where the range of the picture on the camera's LCD screen was greater than that which printed.

From receollection it might healp if you selected the "with border" option. It redeuced the size of the print but from what i can recall is more "all-encompassing".

Havey Normans have a good price at the moment e.g 6 X 4 19cent per picture which is good value. Some chemist do them at a good price we get 50 photos for 10euro
It not really the price I was worried about. It was the quality. When you have photos of a special event its very disappointing to have them cropped by a machine and in this particular shop it seems their response is that it is the machine fault. Its a bit like that other problem of shops blaiming computers for all mistakes made.

Hewlett Packard do some very good photoprinters. Mine is the Photosmart 7450 which, although quite old now, does a very good job for not a lot of money.

Back