Have you used a Spider Catcher?

Becca

Anyone here used a spider catcher?

[broken link removed]

Just wondered if they are effective?

I bought a spider catcher from one of those crappy Betterware catalogues that get delivered from time to time. It cost about 7euro and works great. Much better then squashing them with tissue etc etc...

I bought a spider catcher from one of those crappy Betterware catalogues that get delivered from time to time. It cost about 7euro and works great. Much better then squashing them with tissue etc etc...
Thanks Steevo.

Is that the type of spider catcher which is a plastic box and you close the spider in the box?

I use a glass or jamjar and a bit of stiff card/paper. Works fine and costs nothing.

Hi,
I got a spider catcher as a Christmas gift. It’s basically a mini vacuum cleaner and while it’s good for the smaller insects (I can catch them and release them into the wild) I do have to resort to using the actual vacuum cleaner for the larger spiders that seem to infest my house. My advice is to befriend someone who’s not so afraid of spiders!

I do have to resort to using the actual vacuum cleaner for the larger spiders that seem to infest my house.

Do you empty the vacuum cleaner afterwards or let them make a nice little nest inside? :D

Thanks Vanilla, is it similar to the one shown in the link i.e. the "bristle" type? Or a plastic box type?

The bristle one in your link looks like the spider could escape if he climbed upwards. The bristles are bunched together to close off the exit at the bottom, but they're more widely spaced towards the top.

Seriously, I find a pint glass really good. Just put it over the spider and press the rim firmly against the wall/floor. The glass is big enough that you don't have to approach too close, and you can see whereabouts in it the spider is. Then just slip a bit of thin but stiff card between the rim and the wall/floor to seal it off, tip it upside down so the spider falls to the bottom (still holding the card firmly over the top in case he decides to climb up... you can always shake him down again because the glass doesn't give him a good grip) and then shake him out the window. I'd never use something non-transparent for fear he'd be poised near the opening waiting to run onto my hand when I took the card away, but a pint glass and a postcard are your only man.

The thing I don't like about the glass/postcard idea is that I'm just too close to them... :D

That's why the catcher appeals to me as you don't have to get too close!

Becca, our house has one of these and it works very well.
Is it a bristle type one, similar to the one in the link? (not the plastic box type)

Becca,

Yeah, its one of the plastic box types with a sliding door at the bottom. Easy enough to use and work well.

I use a Pop Tart box and herd them in with a small piece of cardboard

You must be really bad if you need one of these...

Back