Have You Sold Your House To Rent?

P

PeteBurns

Has anyone here sold their house (main residence) in anticipation of house prices going south, so as to take real profits from the housing boom, and not just "on paper" profits?

I haven't...but then I haven't even moved into mine yet.

Would anyone in their right mind really sell their home on the hope that prices in Ireland are about to go down? It doesn't look that likely in the immediate future.

Double Whammy.

I remember being told by an economist in 1997 there was going to be a price crash in housing. I am glad I didn't take his advice. Last year alone my house price increased by circa 6% - 10%. If I had of sold and gone in to rented accommodation I would have had a double whammy. However the thought has crossed my mind in recent times.

We're into market timing here (i.e. a mug's game) but another possible strategy (not one that I personally would pursue or recommend in most cases) might be to hold onto one's PPR and instead sell the shares of some property companies (e.g. quoted estate agencies) short in anticipation of picking them up cheaper at a later date to complete the sale thereby making a profit. If the strategy doesn't work then at least you still have your PPR and can possibly remortgage to foot the losses.

where and when?

Piggy,
Where did you buy and when do you move in?
If that's not to personal a question on a public forum...

Re: where and when?

Hi purple,

I'll keep the exact whereabouts of the where prv if y'don't mind. You can PM me if you like and I'll tell you. It's southside and it's near the mountains.
When - hopefully the end of this month but I'm not holding my breath. Well...I am, but I've started to turn blue so I've stopped that now!

Piggy, careful about holding your breath, that how Purple started.

Thanks Natchessman, I'll be careful. purple took it to another level mind you.
I believe it goes blue - purple - then green.

Newspaper Headlines from Late 80's 'til Mid 90's

Here's a fascinating collection of UK newspaper headlines from the late 80's 'til the mid 90's

[broken link removed]

Re:

This recent article by Michael Murray may be of some interest:
[broken link removed]

Back