Have UPC (formerly NTL) just made digital cheaper than analogue?

Going to change from Sky to CHOURUS/ntl. Should I cancel sky first and then get the CHorus/Ntl in. You know how its always messy changing from one to another, especialy when I THINK sky are paid one month in advance.

I just tried to upgrade from analog to digital. I have two other TV points in bedrooms that were split (by me or by the builder) and I'd like to keep them on analog but they told me they'd turn off the analog signal from outside my house unless I paid an installation fee and a monthly rental fee. Has anyone tried this and had any luck?

I just tried to upgrade from analog to digital. I have two other TV points in bedrooms that were split (by me or by the builder) and I'd like to keep them on analog but they told me they'd turn off the analog signal from outside my house unless I paid an installation fee and a monthly rental fee. Has anyone tried this and had any luck?

Don't think they can do this. They should leave you with the analogue until they turn it off for the whole area, once everyone has moved to digital.

Worst case you could just remove the filter they put on?

I changed from Sky to Chorus last week because of multiroom charges, Sky €15, Chorus €2. Before changing I explained to SKY why I was changing but they refused to budge. After getting Chorus installed I rang Sky to cancel. Sky were't pleased and then gave me an offer equal to Chorus, but too late. Sky pointed out I can change my mind within 30 days but I will honour Chorus contract for twelve months.

I upped to digital and they went one further than ignoring the extra points, they put proper cropped connections on them in the utility box outside so I could just add my own splitter box later. Nice chap that came!

Have Chorus recently reduced their multiroom price? According to this page on their website multiroom costs €8.50

For New Customers you get multiroom for €2 a month per room and FREE Digital + (DVR) once you continue to pay for Sky Sports or Sky Movies.

For Existing Customers they just keep taking the money -it's a disgrace!
So for an example Digital + €60 per year but FREE to New Customers and one multiroom €102 per year or €24 per year to New Customers.

Thanks Theresa1 for answering Eggerb's query re multiroom for €2. New customers always fare better than existing customers with SKY and Chorus. I think it is a good idea to switch from one to another every 12 months when contract is up - you are considered a new customer each time and qualify for special offers.

Didn't think you were considered a new customer by sky if you've been with them before?

Didn't think you were considered a new customer by sky if you've been with them before?

- I would agree with this, also upc would take it into consideration if you had their services before and you may not get as good an offer as being an entirely new customer. This leads to one year maybe you get it in wife's name and then cancel and then go back with husband's name as new customer. Once a Customer with both companies all they want is your money and expect you to almost subsidise their new customer's. This should be looked into. Imagine being a customer in a clothers shop for year's and having to pay more for your jeans compared to a new customer. Some will say I'm being silly but just think about it for a minute.

I was with Chorus up to three years ago and then switched to SKY. When I switched back to Chorus last week they treated me as a new customer and gave me the new customer rates.

Don't think they can do this. They should leave you with the analogue until they turn it off for the whole area, once everyone has moved to digital.
We currently have NTL analogue in two rooms, sitting room and kitchen. If we switch to digital in the sitting room only, will we still have the analogue signal available in the kitchen?

If I were to go for the multi-room in the kitchen, we have a wall-mounted flat-screen, with all cables nicely tidied behind the wall - nothing visible. Would I have to be stuck with an ugly STB with a cable to the flat screen with multi-room?

we are switching to UPC digital tomorrow and have been told that we can keep the analog tv points we have if we want. I also asked if there was a problem with our service outside of the cooling off period, can we revert to analog (assuming we dont then go with Sky) and was told yes. As part of the switch to digital we get one digital tv point free - we wanted another 2 digital tv points and were told its 50 euro per point for installation on top of the 8.50 per month charge ?? Is this correct ?

Thanks for clarifying the situation re analogue.

- we wanted another 2 digital tv points and were told its 50 euro per point for installation on top of the 8.50 per month charge ?? Is this correct ?
Is this fee for putting down wiring to extra rooms, or do they just have to enable the digital service.

engineer called on-time this morning, all done painlessly and we have kept our analog tv points. would need to check regards the 50 euro fee though, would suspect UPC charge this for wiring etc rather than enabling.

If so I've been waiting for this for a long time. :)

I'm paying UPC €23.50 a month for analogue TV.

According to an advertisement I heard on the radio yesterday a basic digital service is €20.00 a month.

Can I cancel the analogue and go to digital so saving €3.50 a month or is the digital cost on top of the analogue price? :eek:
Has the price increased? They are now showing €25 per month on their webpage http://www.upc.ie/television/digitaltv/value/ though the €20 per month is still mentioned at http://www.upc.ie/television/

complainer, checked with UPC yesterday and the 50 euro fee is to pay their contractors who carry out their work even if you have rooms already "pre-wired" for tv points

the engineer just checked that our house had a strong enough signal to run/use digital tv outside the house ( we asked him, as this was suggested by another poster) and connected up the top box using the existing white NTL box on the wall and then just hooked up a scart cable. When its installing he wrote down some numbers ( on the technical info homepage) called UPC and all was fine...

Back