Have to tax car for 3 months before declaring as Off the Road

QED

I am selling my car and it has been off the road for a few months but tax ran out at end of Oct. I forgot to declare off the road in advance so I have no problem that I owe tax for October. However, when I now try to declare as Off the Road i get following message:-

"There are currently motor tax arrears due on this vehicle. Before declaring your vehicle off the road you must pay these arrears and tax your vehicle for a minimum of three months."

So I have to tax my car for 3 months in advance before declaring off the road! This seems crazy - I can't see the logic.

If you are going to declare it off the road, and I assume you are not driving it. Why do you want to pay the tax for October/ November. There is no law to say you cant sell an untaxed car. The new owner will only be responcible from the time they buy it.

You have to declare in advance that your engine is going to blow up etc. blame the politician for this, they voted it in.

QED did you try calling or going to the tax office to see if they can tax it for one month,Aine it's just not possible online ?

There is no law to say you cant sell an untaxed car. The new owner will only be responcible from the time they buy it.[/QUOTE said:
Thought perhaps they may have looked for arrears as car was not notified off road?

Just sell it with no tax. No liability will rest with you or the buyer.

Back