Have people forgotton their income will be reduced significantly in May?

thedaras

I went to Dundrum town centre yesterday and had to que to get into the car park! Its was really busy there.
Then I went tk maxx in Carrickmines,the car park there was packed too.

Do you think that we are not fully aware of how the recent budget will effect us? Ie; When we open our pay packets in the first week in May,will people then realise that they need to cut back?

It seems to me that there has been no change in peoples spending ..yet..

thedaras;848796[B said:
]I went to Dundrum town centre yesterday and had to que to get into the car park! Its was really busy there[/B].

Do you think that we are not fully aware of how the recent budget will effect us? Ie; When we open our pay packets in the first week in May,will people then realise that they need to cut back?

That place is freaky and a world of its own.

Some people don't need to cut back - they can forgo saving or save less to spend the same as they always did.

As long as they are not spending money they don't have (e.g. CC or HP) then they are doing the right thing IMO.

If people stop spending we will be in even deeper doo-doo than we already are.

As long as they are not spending money they don't have (e.g. CC or HP) then they are doing the right thing IMO.

If people stop spending we will be in even deeper doo-doo than we already are.

I agree with some of your post. If would be far better to save and use these savings to buy the stuff you need.

However, if we reduce our savings, that will be bad, as banks will not have the cash to loan out to companies to expand and set up in the first place.

I went to Dundrum town centre yesterday and had to que to get into the car park! Its was really busy there.

...how 'bout yerself - did you forget given that you were also in the q's? ;)

However, if we reduce our savings, that will be bad, as banks will not have the cash to loan out to companies to expand and step up in the first place.

People will be reducing savings though, through loss of earnings with the introduction of more levies, the decrease in interest rates and the increase in dirt tax imposed by the budget.

Spending your money while you have it on things you need might be seen as a better alternative to saving for a rainy day

I saw in Liffey Valley recently that the car parks were full but unlike before people were walking around with empty hands and not shopping bags.

Just browsing as the saying goes.

The crowds were probably suffering withdrawal symptoms as most shopping centres were closed on Easter Sunday :)

Myself and my Mum have just spent an hour wandering around Dundrum SC. Between the two of us we bought one piece of costume jewellery for €20. I think an awful lot of people just go to these places for a ramble, the way people used to go into town at night years ago to just look in the shop windows.

I think some people just like to wander around the shops and they may not necessarily be buying anything. I think the number of people seen weighed down with bags is definetly less than it used to be.

Are you fully aware? You were there too ?

I was returning something ,getting money back,see earlier post!
AM I fully aware,emm,dunno to be honest,Im just cutting back on everything including returning what I can and dont need,so Ill will be in a better position to take the hit.
As I said earlier the tills were a ringing!

Last edited:
You were queing to get into the shopping centre yourself?

Once again ,I had to return something!!:confused:
Perhaps your missing my point,which is that the shopping centres are packed and people are still spending money and maybe when they get paid in May and see the big reductions in their income the shopping will stop...but untill the wage deductions are seen and the pain is felt I dont think there is a realision of the impact.hope this clears things up.,:confused:

Could also be that, despite the hysteria, not everyone has been pushed to the breadline.

There's still over 2 million people at work on average wages higher than most other countries in the developed world.

I feel for the extra 200,000 on the dole and those that have been forced into living like hermits by tax hikes and wage cuts, but there's still a majority living well within their means who can afford not to cut back.

With prices down across the board (from mortgage interest rates to petrol) there's a lot of people who've enjoyed an increase in their disposable income after the essential have been paid for.

I realise there are many in real difficulty but it won't do anyone any good for those in secure jobs with plenty of disposable income to cut back for appearance sake

Could also be that, despite the hysteria, not everyone has been pushed to the breadline.

There's still over 2 million people at work on average wages higher than most other countries in the developed world.

I feel for the extra 200,000 on the dole and those that have been forced into living like hermits by tax hikes and wage cuts, but there's still a majority living well within their means who can afford not to cut back.

With prices down across the board (from mortgage interest rates to petrol) there's a lot of people who've enjoyed an increase in their disposable income after the essential have been paid for.

I realise there are many in real difficulty but it won't do anyone any good for those in secure jobs with plenty of disposable income to cut back for appearance sake

Excellent Post.
With every sympathy for those who for whatever reason find themselves poorer, as you said many either through luck , prudent lifestyles in the past, no dodgy investments or property , are not any worse off and it's exactly what is needed;a bit of spending to bring up those tax coffers.
Too much emphasis on savings won't take anyone off the dole queques. I'm spending a lot on the house at the moment and to say the least, it's refreshing the quality of service and workmen available and yes, I'm buying in the republic because I can afford it and I owe that to this country. I'm sick of the doom and gloom and the worse types constantly talking down everything are those with the most, I've found.

Back