Have long do I have to wait for child benefit? I applyed in november.

M

me666

Have long do I have to wait for child benefit?? I applyed in november. The same questin about FIS.

Re: Benefit

child benefit should only take a month , you shouldnt have had to apply normally when you register the birth you will automatically have child benefit applied for on your behalf by the registrat of births. fis can take about six weeks.

If you are not habitual resident why do you think you qualify for child benefit? As far as I know you need to meet the habitual resident conditions to qualify for child benefit.

And if I'm not habitual resident??

Have a look at welfare.ie -

All applicants regardless of nationality are from 1 May 2004 required to be habitually resident in the State in order to qualify for the following payments:
  • Unemployment Assistance
  • Old Age Non-Contributory Pension
  • Blind Pension
  • Widow(er)'s and Orphan's Non-Contributory Pensions
  • One-Parent Family Payment
  • Carer's Allowance
  • Disability Allowance
  • Supplementary Welfare Allowance (other than once-off exceptional and urgent needs payments) and
  • Child Benefit

If you work in a country covered by EC Regulations, this country usually pays Child Benefit even if your family is living in another EU or EEA country. Contact Child Benefit EU Section on (074) 910 6528 for more information on how EU rules affect Child Benefit.
Countries Covered by EC Regulations: • Austria
• Iceland
• Portugal
• Belguim
• Ireland
• Republic of Cyprus (Cyprus South)
• Bulgaria
• Italy
• Romania
• Czech Republic
• Latvia
• Slovakia
• Denmark
• Liechtenstein
• Slovenia
• Estonia
• Lithuania
• Spain
• Finland
• Luxembourg
• Sweden
• France
• Malta
• Switzerland
• Germany
• Norway
• the Netherlands
• Greece
• Poland
• the United Kingdom
• Hungary

Child benefit paid under EU legislation is where one member of the family resides and works here and the rest of the family are in a qualifying EU country as listed above.

Child Benefit applications from persons who may qualify under EU legislation are taking several months to process. Delays are caused mainly by the requirement to get documentation from the EU country to confirm if child benefit or its equivalent is being paid there. Then there may be delays if the documentation has to be translated.

FIS has a long waiting period at the moment because of a backlog of claims.

Last edited:
it probably would have been answered sooner if you had included all the information in the initial question....

Was talking to Eastern Eupopean couple recently about Child Benefit.
Father came to Ireland first and applied in January 2006 for CB for children (still living with mother in Eastern Europe)

Mother came to Ireland with children in June 2007 and applied for Child Benefit in her name. Neither claims have yet been processed.

When I contacted both Child Benefit Section and EU Child Benefit Section they told that it would be at least 3 months for CB and 4 months for EU CB.

By that time they will be due over €5000 per child in arrears

This may be a stupid question, so please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong?

Isnt child benefit paid by the country in which you are habitually resident? So if you are not resident in Ireland, you wouldnt get Irish CB?

Was talking to Eastern Eupopean couple recently about Child Benefit.
Father came to Ireland first and applied in January 2006 for CB for children (still living with mother in Eastern Europe)

Mother came to Ireland with children in June 2007 and applied for Child Benefit in her name. Neither claims have yet been processed.

When I contacted both Child Benefit Section and EU Child Benefit Section they told that it would be at least 3 months for CB and 4 months for EU CB.

By that time they will be due over €5000 per child in arrears

Mother and father cannot both be entitled to CB. It is payable per child. Why did they both apply? Is father claiming from Jan 06 to June 07?

Father applied initially for CB under EU regulations as he came first to live and work in Ireland. As CB is paid to mother and can only be paid to father with mother's permission while mother is still in her own country, hence the 2 claims

He will eventually be paid CB from the time he applied in Ireland till the time she and children arrived and applied. From then onwards CB will be paid to mother

Back