VHI Have I left it too late to switch health insurers?

Mommabearof3

Hi just looking for guidance renewal for 2 adults 2 students 1 with medical condition 3/4 consultants visits annually on long term illness. 1 child who gets some occupational therapy and has bits and pieces eyes and things has learning difficulties.

The other adult child (20) is as strong as an ox. We don’t go to the GP much and my husband and I are healthy. I suppose I’m looking for good day to day cover for my daughter 21 she's well and will always have this condition but I want an MRI and neuro Private cover if ever needed.

The little guy 9 again is very well but needs a couple of annual visits I got an educational assessment for him last year that was €700 none of that is covered.

Is there a family excess in any policies? I have read as much as I can on here thanks for all your info and realize there will be waiting times for upgrading.

We are currently with VHI PMI 4316 that’s the adults kids or the bane of my life were on One Plan 150. I just did my claim and they get nothing back in terms of outpatients well nothing to talk about.

Other half and I getting to 50’s like the idea of orthopedic cover though nothing specific in terms of conditions. Sorry about this I’m busy and have been putting this off to my detriment and now it’s like HELP I’m in a muddle. I don’t mind switching just looking for some value in a murky world

Last edited:
Hi Susie yes it is tax deductible but that won’t be until the end of this year for that I’m a form 12. It’s my own fault I thought some therapy’s would be allowable like o/t it was with Laya but obviously the VHI One Plus is pretty basic and I know it’s either tax relief or health insurance relief so at least I will get something at the end of the year.

Hi Ruththeboot,

Firstly, its not too late, you have 14 days after renewal date to change your mind, so there's plenty of time to decide.

21 year old daughter;
The following plan has excellent day to day cover, plus very good hospital cover, well worth considering. Details as follows;

1. VHI PMI 38 14; price 759pa;(age 21); all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, no excess to pay for admissions or day case
procedures. Excellent day to day cover included, refund of 130 per consultant visit, 75% refund for gp visits, etc. There is a 1 euro excess for day
to day expenses, which means she is in a refund position even with minimum expenses.
Note; While this plan is 300 euro extra in price compared to her current plan, the refunds for medical expenses more than compensate overall.

2. VHI PMI 07 10; price 566pa;(age 21); all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech hospital excess capped at 150 x 1 max per year for all admissions(regardless of how many), day case excess 50 per procedure. Good day to day cover included, refund of 50% for
consultant visits, gp visits etc. There is a 1 euro excess for day to day cover, which means a refund kicks in straight away even with minimum
expenses.
[broken link removed]

9 year old son;
The following plan is worth considering, details as follows;
1. VHI Company Plan Plus Level 1.3; price 286pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covere, private/hi-tech hospital excess 150 per admission, day case excess 50 per procedure. Good day to day cover included, 50% refund for consultants, occupational therapy, etc. - subject to a max refund of 1000 per year.
[broken link removed]

20 year old son;
The following plans are worth considering, details as follows.
1. VHI Company Plan Plus Level 1.3; price 382pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech excess 150 per admission,
day case excess 50 per procedure. Good day to day cover included, 50% refund for gp visits, consultant visits etc - subject to a max refund of
1000 per year.

2. VHI One Plan 150; price 323pa; all public and private hospitals + Beacon hospital covered, private excess 150 x 2 max per year for all
admissions. Day case excess 150 per procedure.
[broken link removed]

2 Adults;
The following plans are worth considering, details as follows;

1. Laya Simply Connect; price 1100pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech excess 150 x 2 max per year for all
admissions(regardless of how many), day case excess 50 per procedure. Good day to day cover included, 50% refund for gp visits, consultants,
etc. - subject to a max refund per year 50% of 1000 = 500 per person. There is a 1 euro excess for day to day cover which means a refund
arises even with minimal expenses. There is full orthopaedic cover in all private and hi-tech hospitals on this plan - no excess or shortfall applies
to this type of surgery.

2. VHI Company Plan Plus Level 1.3; price 1128pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech hospital excess 150 per
admission, day case excess 50 per procedure. Good day to day cover included, 50% refund for consultant, gp visits, etc - subject to a max
refund of 1000 per year.

3. Laya Essential Health 300; price 895pa; all public, private and Beacon hospital covered, private hospital excess 300 x 2 max per year for all
admissions(regardless of how many), day case excess 125 per procedure. Limited day to day cover. There is full cover for orthopaedic surgery
in private hospitals + Beacon hospital on this plan - no excess or shortfall to pay. Fully covered.
I included this plan as an option to make savings overall on the total bill for 1 or 2 adults if you want.

[broken link removed]

NOTE; There is no waiting time for increasing day to day cover(for under age 50 years), refunds apply from renewal date. You can claim during the year as expenses arise through the VHI app or you can wait until the end of the year and submit a claim by filling out the form.

There are good alternative options to consider while paying attention to their individual medical needs.
What is the cost of your daughters consultant per visit?
Would she also have some gp visits?
If you have any further questions or need help, don't hesitate to ask.

Regards, Snowyb

Last edited:
Thank you sooo much. My daughters neuro is €140 last year she saw him multiple times it was €300 for the first consult. She has epilepsy still not really stabilized it was a new diagnosis and I had just put them on the VHI one plan not really expecting anything and just being lazy tbh. I think going forward she needs decent day to day cover and great to know there is no waiting period for that stepping up. I am in a group scheme in work and the VHI comes out from salary with no extra charges. Having read your posts as much as possible I think I’m going to split us up in that put the girl on 38 14 and the 9 year old on the company plan the bigger guy can stay on the one plan 150 with the VHI and move us to Laya Simply Connect. That way I don’t have an enormous cash payout now and also I think it’s the best cover. I sort of felt I wanted to split it up I just needed advice drilling down. Cant say how much I appreciate the help.

Last edited:
Back