Case study Have I enough to retire now ?

Some great balanced points in there , sort of rubber stamping what my own thinking is, Fayf but no I am not underestimating my children's needs. I'd have retired already if that was the case . Going back to my original post that’s why I’ve grafted so hard up to now and now I want to spend more time with them.

How is it ending up worse that holding 100% in cash at 0% interest and being left with 160k?
Because equities suffered a horrible sequence of returns over the period.

The problem with holding no growth assets in the ARF is that the portfolio is highly unlikely to keep up with inflation, particularly after expenses.

The more I think about it, I’d definitely clear the mortgage and the car finance.

Then I’d use my €730 a month of additional cashflow to build my €8,000 back up to the desired level.

OP, what exactly is your monthly income requirement excluding the €730 and excluding any amounts you save?

i.e. in net/after-tax terms.

e.g. “We need €2,000 into our back pockets each month to keep the show on the road”

The more I think about it, I’d definitely clear the mortgage and the car finance.

Then I’d use my €730 a month of additional cashflow to build my €8,000 back up to the desired level.

OP, what exactly is your monthly income requirement excluding the €730 and excluding any amounts you save?

i.e. in net/after-tax terms.

e.g. “We need €2,000 into our back pockets each month to keep the show on the road”
Excluding the €730 and savings made monthly requirement would be say €3750 nett. That's a realistic average calculation factoring in seasonal and some parts of the year more expensive than others.

Because equities suffered a horrible sequence of returns over the period.

The problem with holding no growth assets in the ARF is that the portfolio is highly unlikely to keep up with inflation, particularly after expenses.

Any thoughts on what might be an appropriate ARF asset allocation for OP given his age, plans for early retirement and size of his fund? Sequence of returns must be a big risk consideration for anybody thinking about retirement in the current environment where equities could be heading for a major correction.

Excluding the €730 and savings made monthly requirement would be say €3750 nett. That's a realistic average calculation factoring in seasonal and some parts of the year more expensive than others.
Okay, so that’s €60,000 gross of tax.

You mentioned gross income of €40,000 at the outset.

Did you mean €40,000 net of tax?

Otherwise, how are you getting by?

I don’t think you can retire yet.

Could you give us an idea of how these figures would crunch out with say, 4% withdrawals per anum , 50and out ?
An annual 4% withdrawal from an €1m fund that tracks the MSCI World index starting in 2000 would have fallen to €305,000 at its lowest point, giving you an income of €12,200. An allocation of bonds would have helped somewhat.

Any thoughts on what might be an appropriate ARF asset allocation for OP given his age, plans for early retirement and size of his fund?
I would probably go for something like a traditional 60/40 allocation in the OP's shoes.

Mind you, I wouldn't retire yet if I was in the OP's shoes. I think he should wait until he is debt-free and the kids are self-sufficient.

Okay, so that’s €60,000 gross of tax.

You mentioned gross income of €40,000 at the outset.

Did you mean €40,000 net of tax?

Otherwise, how are you getting by?

I don’t think you can retire yet.
From my cash resources, I suppose that's why I'm reluctant to pay off the mortgage at what is a reasonably low rate of 2.9%. If I needed cash fast then I'd probably be forced to take it out of my ARF at 20 % rate (which would be ridiculous ) whilst I'm still working , even if on a lower income job as thunderin' eejit suggested earlier in the thread 'cos as you say yourself , Gordon , I'm going nowhere soon. :)

From my cash resources, I suppose that's why I'm reluctant to pay off the mortgage at what is a reasonably low rate of 2.9%. If I needed cash fast then I'd probably be forced to take it out of my ARF at 20 % rate (which would be ridiculous ) whilst I'm still working , even if on a lower income job as thunderin' eejit suggested earlier in the thread 'cos as you say yourself , Gordon , I'm going nowhere soon. :)
Okay, so things are a little trickier than they appeared.

You have a €60,000 income requirement, and that’s before you factor in your mortgage repayments and savings/retirement provision itself.

And your income is €40,000.

Well firstly, forget about retiring in the near future, that just isn’t an option unfortunately.

Could your spouse earn some income? 45 with adult children, a shortfall of income coming into the household, and sitting on the sidelines seems a tad extreme in my view.

Well firstly, forget about retiring in the near future, that just isn’t an option unfortunately.

Working for another year will not change the risk materially. He will earn about €35k net which is neither here nor there.

If he works another 10 years, he will have €350k more. That will reduce the risk a bit.

But not nearly enough to justify working in a job you don't like for 10 years.

Brendan

You have a €60,000 income requirement
I presume that will fall materially once the mortgage is cleared and the kids are off the payroll.

I think the OP is definitely on the home straight and could plan on retiring before the imputed distributions kick in on his ARF.

Just not quite yet.
If he works another 10 years, he will have €350k more
Plus any investment returns on his ARF, which will have to support himself and his wife for 10 years less.

An annual 4% withdrawal from an €1m fund that tracks the MSCI World index starting in 2000 would have fallen to €305,000 at its lowest point, giving you an income of €12,200. An allocation of bonds would have helped somewhat.
Do you have the current value of the ARF tracking the world index with a 4% annual withdrawal? Thanks

From my cash resources, I suppose that's why I'm reluctant to pay off the mortgage at what is a reasonably low rate of 2.9%.
I don't know what kind of large expense you envisage might hit you. Is it that you might have a sudden craving for a world cruise? Or, heaven forbid, one of the kids comes to you saying they have a money problem?
Would it not be possible to re-mortgage in such a situation? 2.9% isn't especially cheap and you should be able to re-mortgage at less than that though I don't know what expenses are involved in re-mortgaging.

I presume that will fall materially once the mortgage is cleared and the kids are off the payroll.

I think the OP is definitely on the home straight and could plan on retiring before the imputed distributions kick in on his ARF.

Just not quite yet.

Plus any investment returns on his ARF, which will have to support himself and his wife for 10 years less.
No.

Excluding the mortgage and saving/retirement provision, there’s a €40k net/€60k gross income requirement.

Have I got that wrong?

Today he has an ARF of €1.25m
If he works for another year, he will have

ARF €1.25m
Return on ARF: say 4% - €50k
Net salary : €35k
Expenditure: (€60k)
Wealth after one year: €1,275

If he stops working
ARF €1.25m
Return on Arf: €48k
net salary: 0
Expenditure: (€60k)
Wealth after one year: €1,238.

So he just loses the net salary if he stops working.
Or the net salary and the investment return on the net salary to be exact.

Brendan

Excluding the mortgage and saving/retirement provision, there’s a €40k net/€60k gross income requirement
Yes but the OP also seems to have material educational expenses at the moment that will presumably fall away in a few years -
My income requirement going forward , would then be say 50K per anum for next five years including my two boys' education and say €38k after that.

So he just loses the net salary if he stops working.
Well, I assume he wouldn't be drawing on the ARF if he kept working - he has 3 or 4 years before imputed distributions kick in.

An additional ~€100k, net of taxes, supplemented by his remaining post-tax savings, would allow him to comfortably clear the mortgage and get his kids through college before drawing ~€50k (gross) per annum from the ARF from age 61.

Yes but the OP also seems to have material educational expenses at the moment that will presumably fall away in a few years -
It’s a case that concerns me to be honest.

I think the OP just doesn’t have enough set aside and I think the spouse should look for some work. 45 is way too young.

Back