Have DC plan, other pension options?

Carpenter

Hi All,
I haven't posted many financial queries in the past so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction regarding this pensions query. I have a Personal Pension plan from New Ireland which I started about 9 years ago. I stopped paying into this policy two years ago when my employer started a defined contribution scheme in the company. I am not contributing to this scheme (employer contributes 7.5% of gross salary), although I was offered the option of setting up an AVC. I was unsure about this at the time and was anxious to seek independant advice. I couldn't consider the additional expense at the time in any case. I now want to look at the options available to me, the most logical would appear to be to set up an AVC with a low cost provider like Quinn Life. This would give me the option of purchasing an annuity or ARF at retirement. My wife and I are already seriously considering investing directly in the stockmarket anyway with an SSIA lump sum, based on much of the advice I've read on AAM. That said I know I should still be looking at the AVC as this is a very tax effective method of saving money for the future. My wife works in the public service so her pension provision is quite good. Any thoughts please??

I am not contributing to this scheme (employer contributes 7.5% of gross salary)
You get the employer 7.5% even if you don't contribute? That's nice!
although I was offered the option of setting up an AVC.
You mean AVC contrinbutions under the occupational scheme or outside of it via, say, a PRSA? I thought that if the employer facilitated AVCs via the occupational scheme then if you wanted to make AVCs you had to take that offer and could not open a separate pension (e.g. PRSA)? Basically - are you sure that the option of opening a separate PRSA or RAC for AVCs is open to you? What charges apply to AVCs to the company scheme (if applicable)?

You mean AVC contrinbutions under the occupational scheme or outside of it via, say, a PRSA? I thought that if the employer facilitated AVCs via the occupational scheme then if you wanted to make AVCs you had to take that offer and could not open a separate pension (e.g. PRSA)? Basically - are you sure that the option of opening a separate PRSA or RAC for AVCs is open to you? What charges apply to AVCs to the company scheme (if applicable)?

Yeah the 7.5% is good I must admit, there may be scope to look for ann increase to 10% this year. There is no tie-in of employer contribution versus employee contribution with this scheme. Basically the company had a broker set up the scheme and the broker "suggested" that I set up an AVC myself to cover the shortfall in predicted benefits at retirement. There is no AVC facility via the occupational scheme, which I suppose gives me more flexibility (in terms of provider). So, as I understand it I am free to start an AVC, subject to the revenue rules. I was very reluctant to discuss the AVC option much further with the broker- he was a tied agent and mightn't have my best interests in mind!

Is Quinn Life able to set-up a standalone AVC?

I gather that they are not able to set-up PRSA?

You have a good arrangement with your company whereby they put in 7.5% (I reckon you should try to push it up to 10% even if it means having to accept a lower salary increase than normal in return for the extra contribution).

In relation to your AVC, a standalone PRSA would be a good investment for you, with the obvious tax advantages that it brings (together with, as you said, ARF options at retirement).

CapitalCCC,
Hope to discuss the increase to 10% pretty soon (like at my annual review tomorrow!). I'll look at a PRSA...thanks

Back