Has you selection of mortgage changed as a result of the tracker scandal?

gnf_ireland

For all of those in the middle of applying/accepting mortgage contracts at the moment, has your behaviour changed as a result of the tracker scandal or is it just something that is a carry over from the Celtic Tiger years?

Do you understand all the T&C's of the mortgage contract? Do you even read it, or do you leave that to the solicitor? Do you follow up verbal queries with the bank with a written letter and file it and the response away for safe keeping?

Do you focus on various lines in the contract such as rollover rate, anything that references lifetime of the mortgage etc? Do you understand the specific T&C's of your mortgage agreement clearly - or is this something for the solicitor to worry about?

Personally, when I both signed up to and switched my mortgages in 2011/2015, I read the entire mortgage contact and queried parts of it with either the bank or solicitor. I still feel I was 'duped' by certain terms used and have ended up raising formal complaints with the bank I hold the mortgage with. Thankfully nothing as material as the tracker scandal.

I would like to see a standardised industry mortgage contact agreement agreed by all banks, and a much shorter specific T&C's to the individual loan to be issued. This should reduce the likelihood of issues like this reoccurring as the majority of the mortgage agreement would be standard !

Good question! I know from my years in banking that only once, yes once, did a customer actually take the time to read the page of t&cs on the page of the mortgage application form that needs to be signed. Despite drawing it to their attention etc that they should read it they never did! People don't go out to get a mortgage as such, they want a house and the mortgage is just an unfortunate side effect and a very large percentage don't actually want to know or care about the nitty gritty bits, they just want their house!

People don't go out to get a mortgage as such, they want a house and the mortgage is just an unfortunate side effect and a very large percentage don't actually want to know or care about the nitty gritty bits, they just want their house
Absolutely - and while completely understandable it is partially why we are in this position. I am one of those who will read it all- few and far between, but at least I am comfortable I have at least tried to understand what they are telling me.

Maybe we need to do a module on personal finance in secondary schools !!!

Excellent suggestion .
I hope purchaser are much more discerning and play for all it is worth the power of the purchaser.
The developer and banks want their signatures and money. .

Back