Has Smart Telecom gone down?

I had recieved a bill (for E125) in September in the talk talk headed paper

Are you suggesting that Smart sent out this bill on fake talk talk letterhead? You're giving them too much credit - I would bet my house that that bill was actually from talk talk. You may have been switched back, however, possibly because someone in your household agreed to do so.

I have a nasty feeling they wouldn't have dared around here - business area and affluent residential.

Doubt if that's the reason, probably just that your local exchange is not controlled by eircom. Affluence exists everywhere these days.

Even if Smart have their own equipment in them?

Yes. That's part of Smart Telecoms problems - Eircom won't give them access to every exchange that they need in order to access more customers by kitting out more exchanges.

But if Smart has kit in an exchange, surely they have access to it? I could understand (not from a common sense point of view!) why Eircom would restrict access to their exchanges. For Eircom to barr Smart access to an exchange which houses their (Smart's) equipment can't be right?

I've been following all this very closely on the boards.ie forums, and here is a summary of the situation, as I understand it:-
  • Smart phone-only service will probably be discontinued, users should make other arrangements during a two week grace period. (This service was a resale of the eircom service, was only marginally profitable, and non-payment of fees for this service precipitated Eircom's pulling the plug)
  • [broken link removed], all services have been resumed, and speeds have been increased by 3mb till the end of the year.
  • Some BB customers were wrongly disconnected by over-zealous eircom staff - this should not have happened and they're trying to get in touch with these people and reconnect them. (This should really really not have happened as Smart own the relevant equipment in the exchanges - the mind boggles)
  • If people do want to switch BB provider and are within their 12 month contract period, Comreg have stated (verbally to me, on the phone) that the contract is null and void as Smart interrupted service and broke the contract terms.
  • The timing of all this has absolutely nothing to do with the ruling next week in Smart's case against Comreg in the High Court about the 3G licence. Nothing whatsoever.

down in Cork.. no issues but the day after all the hassle we had a nice young gentleman from Eircom at the door offering us our old number back and broadband at 50 euro for the first 3 months then 75 a month after that (cheeky feckers)
bb and phone in and out for smart still working fine.. refuse to change until it all goes belly up

Hi,
I can't seem to get a strait answer for anyone/anywhere and was hoping to find someone in the same situation who might know what’s going on.
I moved into a large apartment complex and all of the wiring for telephone, broadband and television were with Smart. This wasn’t something we were happy with for the start and tried everything we could to get a different provider for the television and the other; we were told that only Smart would have access to our lines and therefore only Smart was an option. So we signed up for [broken link removed] and although there have been many bumps in the road, I’m not complaining cause it’s been pretty cheep for the three, and when there have been problems customer service were always helpful.
So now, like many I’m left wondering what’s going on and where do I stand. I’m not just a phone line or just a broadband but I’m in a whole package deal.
I have had no problems with service, and I can still make international calls… do I need to start looking elsewhere or do I just wait and look stupid when the mess hits the fan?
Anyone out there have a clue?

But if Smart has kit in an exchange, surely they have access to it? I could understand (not from a common sense point of view!) why Eircom would restrict access to their exchanges. For Eircom to barr Smart access to an exchange which houses their (Smart's) equipment can't be right?

It's the exchange that they weren't given initial access to to get their equipment into that Smart Telecom said was holding them back.

It's the exchange that they weren't given initial access to to get their equipment into that Smart Telecom said was holding them back.

Just to clarify, it is Eircom that rebuild the actual circuits...Smart technical people may observe the work but nothing else...

r2d2

Well, Smart Telecom has gone back trading this morning. As a company that own nothing except a 10% stake in Bidco.

They sold their assets (and liabilities) to Brendan Murtaghs company for €1 and that 10% stake.

Just needs to be approved at an EGM now. Presumably they'll continue to use the Smart Telecom name? Or is that a liability now as well? It'd be a shocking waste of advertising revenue up to now if they changed names.

RIP Smart Telecom - round two - the switch.

I've tried to sign up the BT using their online form that their site directs you to. They ask for "your 8 digit eircom account number".

I tried to phone sales. I was on a queue, then onto an automated callback service. It did actually call me back an hour later, but only to put me onto another queue. :(
Waited fo 20 mins before hanging up in frustration. Have now sent them an email.

Anyone else having any luck? :confused:
D8L

Don't worry, it will be all fine! (laughs maniacally)
My broadband and my landline is back.
Broadband speed increased to 6MB without extra cost.
Brendan 'deep pockets' Murtgagh will finance it until the 3G issue is sorted out and hopefully afterwards.

My head is buried deep in the sand and staying there for the time being.

Brendan 'deep pockets' Murtgagh will finance it until the 3G issue is sorted out and hopefully afterwards.

I wouldn't hold my breath if I were Mr.Murtagh. Given the evidence in the courtcase, I don't think Smart have much of a leg to stand on in getting that 3G licence.

Smart is not going bust.

There is NO need to jump ship and look for a new BB provider.
You may get sales people from other companies knocking on your door looking for you to change over but there is no need as you will not loose your BB service.

Back