Has Smart Telecom gone down?

Cligereen

Hi all,
My home phone, which is with Smart Telecom has ceased to make outgoing calls from sometime today. I can get incoming calls only. When I tried to report the fault there appears to be nobody taking any calls on their customer services number. I rang directory enquiries from work this evening to get another number for Smart and the operator told me that she has been inundated with calls looking for a Smart contact number.

Anybody hear anything?

Clig.

Thanks for that MG, I'll be e-mailing comreg without delay and I'll be switching provider asap in the morning.

It is not effecting their BB, I always use skype for phone calls anyway

My phone worked perfectly this morning. Is this scare tactics by eircom?
No - my mother is with Smart and could receive incoming calls but could not dial out (she got a message about alternative providers or rerouting code prefixes or something) at 10:00 this morning.

My outgoing and ingoing were working this morning at 8am. I completely agree with the above poster. The blame ultimately lies with Comreg

BB is going down today, unless they come to an agreement this morning.
If that is the case which is the next best deal to smart's 35E bb and line rental anyone, or should I go wireless and use skype for phone calls

What is even more frustrating is the fact that many customers who bought into new developments were given no choice in having to use Smart as their service provider.

I moved into a new development on Dublin's northside this year and "Smart Vision" is the package the company agreed with/monopolised through the builders.

The result up until now has been poor tv and phone service, but broadband has been pretty good.

Residents complained in the past calling on the builders to allow some competition into site, but were told the technology used by "Smart Vision" was incompatible with other service providers.

So, as a customer of Smart, the fact that my landline was disengaged last night, that the broadband is on the verge of following suit, and the tv never working properly anyway, is much like any other day.
I say bring on the downfall and let some other provider move in and sort out what has been a massive problem and bogus exercise from the outset.

The whole thing has been anything but Smart! :mad:

Can HelloJed and dieter1 please explain how ComReg is responsible for the problems with Smart Telecom?

Please don't -- start a new thread in LoS if you want to discuss blame. Let's keep this thread to information and next steps for Smart customers.

Thanks MugsGame for the reality check, I was about to get on my high horse! :eek:

My BB and landline connection still haven't been affected. Does anyone in the know have any idea when this could change?

Thanks MugsGame for the reality check, I was about to get on my high horse! :eek:

My BB and landline connection still haven't been affected. Does anyone in the know have any idea when this could change?

If both are still ok then you are probably using smarts own equip and not affected by this yet .... if smart go into liquidation then you will be

Even for the unbundled exchanges, Smart must have an interconnect agreement with eircom -- that could be the next target.

I have to admit I am livid. I can't believe that they can just pull the plug like that.
This is the latest on the debacle. Its the interim solution negotiated by Comreg. Time to go shopping around.. it'll kill me to have to go back to eircom....

[broken link removed]
  • An interim arrangement has been reached which will result in a telephone service being restored to affected customers within three days.

• Customers will be allowed to make local and national calls and calls to emergency services and may receive incoming calls.

• When service has been restored, as part of the interim solution, customers can select a telephone provider of their choice.

Back