Has google search radio button "Country Specific Filter" "pages from Ireland" gone?

Care to explain?

Not really! As such a discussion would be off topic and would detract from my original post.

Suffice to say that our computer is shared between 4 people and were not inclined to have iGoogle login accounts. Our internet connection slows down and the multitude of gadgets on the iGoogle page has the effect of slowing down the system to a crawl. I discovered recently that iGoogle remembers every search you ever made and the only way to delete this record is close down the iGoogle account.

aj

Not really! As such a discussion would be off topic and would detract from my original post.

Suffice to say that our computer is shared between 4 people and were not inclined to have iGoogle login accounts. Our internet connection slows down and the multitude of gadgets on the iGoogle page has the effect of slowing down the system to a crawl. I discovered recently that iGoogle remembers every search you ever made and the only way to delete this record is close down the iGoogle account.

aj

But all you have to do is to Delete all the gadgets.....problem sorted:)

Certainly is irritating.

What about using iGoogle, still allows Pages from Ireland, even if you have not set up iGoogle, and without logging in.

But, does defeat the beauty of the much-vaunted simple GUI

:( Bad Google!!

The normal Google is clear and simple.

iGoogle is a very busy screen with lots of rubbish on it.

exactly:

If ppl wanted all the igoogle stuff, they would go to my yahoo, msn, etc, etc.

Of course you can, you have made that point, and I have already recommended this as an option, but iGoogle can be irritating to ppl who have used Google from the start, mainly because of it's clean and uncluttered GUI.

My preferred option, for the present, is to use the FireFox Start URL as Home Page , as recommended here.

Ppl could not be bothered deleting and setting up iGoogle.

If this continues, I will move to Bing

Compare Bing with Google here

Strange, I have it at work today using IE! I didnt have it yesterday with Opera and Firefox.

I was an early adapter of iGoogle but have stopped usinging it for a variety of reasons.

I resent using my gmail address to log in and the fact that igoolge maintained a history of my searches without giving me the option to opt in or out.

If you dont log into igoogle you get the screen with the generic gadgets for Ireland. If you do log in you can delete all the gadgets but are still saddled with the hassel of logging in and out when using shared computers which is all the time for me.

Is this much ado about nothing? The 'pages from Ireland' option is still there, just in a different place - see http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showpost.php?p=1038214&postcount=8

The issue is that you dont get the left pane until AFTER you have searched the whole web. So in order to filter to just pages from Ireland you have to search the whole web first, then select the pages from Ireland option. Before, you could select the option on the homepage thus avoiding a full web search before filtering.

The issue is that you dont get the left pane until AFTER you have searched the whole web. So in order to filter to just pages from Ireland you have to search the whole web first, then select the pages from Ireland option. Before, you could select the option on the homepage thus avoiding a full web search before filtering.
OK - now I understand.

I never use the homepage to start a search. I use the Google Toolbar in either IE or Firefox, and that brings me straight to the list of sites, with the 'pages from Ireland' list on left side.

Back