Has Berlin residential property market started to go up?

berlininvest

I got the following in my inbox from http://www.frontlineberlin.com/

"Berlin property - It’s official, values are increasing!!
The official statistics released by the German Statistics Office indicate a 7.8% increase when comparing 3Q 2007 with the same quarter last year. Congratulations to all of our clients who have already invested in Berlin property."

Now, allowing for a healthy amount of exaggeration - and I don't see the source specifically named - do you think property in Berlin has started to climb out of stagnation?

Obviously it depends on the area, individual property etc, but in broad terms do you think the residential market is going up, down or remaining static?

I know there have been other threads on this in the past - but as of Feb 2008, do you think its a good place in which to invest?

Well I'm biased as I own a flat there but I believe (from purely anecdotal* evidence I might add!) that it is on the up, slowly. Of course each district is different etc. and it could just as easily go down again IMO. To my mind Berlin is a good bet but it needs more inward commercial investment to cement it as a desirable place to invest. I believe some outlying towns in Brandenburg have seen better increases than Berlin proper and stamp duty is 3.5% instead of the 4.5% in Berlin. Potsdam could be a good option-beautiful town centre and it has a University. Easily commutable to Berlin also.

*When I talk of anecdotal evidence it comes from discussions/web forums etc. with folks who are looking for accomodation and what they're finding.

Thanks murphaph. I am looking at a development in Hollanderhof in Weissensee, through Berlin Capital, in fact have paid a deposit as posted elsewhere in this forum.
Interesting to hear your gut-feel on this. I will probably stick to berlin if anything as that is where we researched (one of us lived there for 8 months last year) and viewed.

I hope that this is not considered to be bumping my thread as its been a while since anyone responded. Just wondering if any experienced people out there could give an opinion on this before I commit to a property please?

Terra Firma ( private equity) which bought 1000s of properties about 5 years ago were reported as wanting to sell these earlier in the year due to lack of growth.

As germany exports alot then the € gains will moderate growth.

Germans actually understand that higher house prices are a negative rather than a positive. thats why we have not heard of the german sub prime crisis

Back