has anyone ever given up a reasonably paying secure job for an €8 an hour job?

Re: has anyone ever given up a reasonably paying secure job for an €8 an hour job?

I'm just afraid of jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

HI, I read somewhere recently that "a life lived in fear is only a life half lived" So go for it

A friend of mine had not been feeling himself for the past few months. He was struggling with his job until it eventually became too much. After a few tests he was diagnosed with depression resulting from his job. This was the last thing he would have thought. He has now been on sick leave for a few months. He's considering moving to something totally different, which will involve a serious pay cut as he currently grosses over 100k.

I can identify with the effect of a job can have on you. In the last few years our small company has gone downhill as regards this area. A few months ago I posted re Boss being a Bully as the effects were so worrying. I too am actively seeking work, which will be at much lower paid, but if this weight can be lifted on my shoulders, it would be worth it. Had doctor tell me this recently so I have to go, no choice. Its terrifying making a change but once done, it can only get better. Good luck!

5 years ago I got very stressed in a teaching job (not for the first time but more strongly than ever before), absolutely HAD to get out. It had taken over my life. Didn't go to the doctor or take sick leave even though I prob could have. I knew the problem was that job so i handed in my notice, worked a few months, went on a short sun break and started a lower paid job in a bank for 6 months, paid me about £7 old money. Enjoyed the change of scene and while the hours were longer I didn't take work home with me in my head anymore. The money was less than what I was used to but it paid the bills.
then moved back in home for a year while i went back to college and did a pretty tough full time post grad in an area i was interested in. Involved a loan as I hadn't saved for it but luckily the course was EU subsidised and I lived at home.
Unfortunately the jobs market took a nose dive in that area when I graduated so I went substitute teaching for what i thought would be short term. Took a full time teaching job again.
Recently was made permanent and even got a little promotion (my course helped me get it). Still find my job stressful but i'm not particularly unhappy in it at the moment.
Out of the blue and nearly 2 years after my application I've got a job offer to consider, very well paid, civil service, linked with the area i studied. I'm going to go for it, luckily for me I can always go back teaching if it doesn't work out. I will regret it if I don't give it a shot!
Very few people love their work and I'm sure the majority just plod along with fairly neutral feelings, but if your job makes you really unhappy and that feeling doesn't shift when you leave at the end of the day and you carry it around with you in your head you should do something about it. Maybe the same job in another establishment or maybe a different job or maybe just some time off to work things out. Different folks diffrent strokes!

Re: has anyone ever given up a reasonably paying secure job for an €8 an hour job?

moneygrower said:
Thanks folks, this is just what I wanted to hear!
Clubman I appreciate your concern but I know myself well and I'm not in need of medical help, just a change of career. Thanks.
Unless you are sure about this you should consider consulting your GP. Clinical depression is far more common than you might imagine. It is not a sign of weakness to recognise this in one’s self, and to take remedial action.

I was talking to a friend about this over the weekend. In my peer group (mid twenties) most of my friends have a NUI Degree under their belts. An awful lot of my friends HATED their chosen career and have retrained or are now happy to work in a bar/shop etc.

Myself I have made the decision to do a HDip in an area I am interested because I am unhappy in my current field. Is it something that effects a lot of this generation or has it always been like this? My parents tell me in their day you just got on with it and you weren't meant to enjoy work.

A lot of my female friends look forward to being homemakers in the future and see this as a way out of the work market.

I just have no motivation at all. Now that I have made the decision to retrain - applying myself to the current job is nigh on impossible but it very well paid. I will be taking about a €10k drop in salary plus the cost of a year out of work. To me happiness and job satisfaction would make it all worthwhile.

Dear Moneygrower,
How refreshing it is to read a post from someone who is willing to eschew all that Mammon has to offer in favour of ...happiness.
You certainly don't come across to me as someone who is depressed, but simply someone who has the maturity to see the bigger picture of your life and the direction you want it to take. You know we can all be taken in by the great Celtic Tiger mantra of 'make more money = make more happiness' - but it doesn't necessarily follow.

Looks to me like you have listened to the 'inner voice' - which is really important, because your own instinct to do what makes you feel good can usually be relied upon 100%. Believe in yourself, don't listen to the detractors, and go for it.

Hi there,
I did. Best decision I ever made.Needed more job satisfaction.Don't mind being poor.I prefer to be doing something I enjoy than to waste my intelligence on on moron supervisors.

Go For It Moneygrower.
Just Arrived Into My Own Office I Dont Want To Be Here I Would Take A Drop In Income For My Sanity.i Am A Senior In The Company And The Stress Is Concerning Me.anybody Know Of Good Out Door Jobs . Park Ranger, Forestry, What Qualification Would You Require For These , Anybody Know Where To Start???????.

Back