has anyone ever brought the county council to (the small claims) court? :-pot holes

Re: has anyone ever brought the county council to (the small claims) court? :pot hol

Quite simply, it's a disgrace. We've all been abroad and we know how well the roads are repaired in most western countries.
I've seen council workers in NZ marking a mere scrape on the road for repair. In the back of beyond. It got fixed too, and properly. None of this patch malarkey. We have the money and we are pumping it into the govts coffers left right and centre. Just where is it being spent? We even have to get private companies to do the big projects. Its a joke.

Re: has anyone ever brought the county council to (the small claims) court? :pot hol

Yes, I made a successful claim. It was the third time I had hit a pot hole and the most recent time I wrecked the wheel bearings as well as the tyre. Previous times, I just bought new tyres myself but this time I had enough. I took photos and kept receipts including taxi to/from dealer. It took 6 MONTHS of calls and emails to the local council office before I got my cheque for the full amount to cover New Tyre, Wheel Bearing, Taxi to Garage etc. I was fobbed off so many times, that I nearly gave up but glad in the end that I persisted. Good Luck !

Re: has anyone ever brought the county council to the small claims court? :pot holes

if we all start making claims for everything that is wrong with Ireland today it becomes a bit of a farce.

Strongly disagree. If we all started making claims they might actually bother themselves to fix the roads, or more usually (in Dublin anyway) enforce proper road repairs against utilities who dig up a strip of road and 'repair' it in the most rudimentary fashion.

Unless the situation was extreme I would be wary about making claims. Councils could make things difficult for you and your name could be dirt.

Unless the situation was extreme I would be wary about making claims. Councils could make things difficult for you and your name could be dirt.
Are you posting from the 1960's?

The only reason the roads are cracking up since we had a wee bit of snow recently is because of poor road resurfacing work carried out by contractors on behalf of the councils. You never hear of the road newtwork in Russia cracking up even after tons of snow and -20 plus degrees.

Don't you just love this little country:D

Poor sub base construction, Poor drainage, Poor surface sealing of the road plus the freeze thaw cycle have contributed to the current situation.

Are you posting from the 1960's?

No.

Are you posting from the 19th century with your continuing stoic denial of any skullduggery whatsover in all things 'public service' ? :p

A Director of Services with Galway County Council was reported as saying that it was up to the motorist to drive with caution in the aftermath of the floods and frost when it came to potholed roads. He said that the onus of responsibility was with the motorist rather than the local authority. But then, he would say that, wouldn't he.

No.

Are you posting from the 19th century with your continuing stoic denial of any skullduggery whatsover in all things 'public service' ? :p
I'm leaving in 2010, and I deal with local authority staff most days of the week. Your conspiracy theories have no connection with the real world. Local authority staff have greater things to worry about than holding grudges.

Poor sub base construction, Poor drainage, Poor surface sealing of the road plus the freeze thaw cycle have contributed to the current situation.

Thats simply it. Too many times you see a road repaired in this country and a few months later its as bad as ever.

Back