Has anyone been to Malaysia?

jph

Hi,

I'm stopping off in Malaysia on way back from business trip in Australia. I'll be there in March, 2009. I am thinking of two days in Kuala Lumpur and then 5 days in Langkawi resort. I'm a middle aged female travelling alone. Does anyone have any experience of Malaysia and if so are the locations I'm thinking of safe and not too remote?

Thanks

jph

You'll be as safe in both those locations as you would be anywhere else.

Be sensible, have a great time, and expect monkeys to nick stuff out of room in Langkawi if you leave the balcony doors open!

Enjoy

Try the Sheraton in KL. Great hotel and really cheap compared to European prices. Close enough (10 minutes) to the Petronas Towers.

KL is the most boring city I've ever visited. 2 days is loads. You'll be safe but my advice is to cover up. Malaysia tries to portray a liberal image but at the end of the day its a Muslim country and people do tend to stare if you show any flesh!

Totally agree with Shesels, absolutely nothing to do in KL but shopping. Stayed in the Berjaya hotel in Langkawi,stayed in huts in the forest,nice hotel but had to get a bus everywhere ,even to get down for breakfast.just chilling out in Langkawi would be the height of things.

17 years since I was in Malaysia, jeez where does the time go? It was still a very third world country then but from all accounts its completely different now.

Get yourself on a 1/2 day bus tour, I'd recommend heading out to the batu caves for a nosey. The bus tour also gets you out of the city so you'll get a chance to see how the normal, non city dwelling people live.

http://www.malaysiasite.nl/batucaveseng.htm

Back