Has a signed document any value?

siobhand1

Instead of moving into a mortgage free family home my ex pushed me sell to my family home which I inherited and he wasted the 37000 received that was 24 years ago. You put up or shut up back then.
His mother died 2 or 3 years ago and I asked him would he think of sharing this as he did very well out of me. After a few weeks he said he would.He signed and so did I.
It was a simple contract written on a piece of paper which I wrote out in front of him so as he agreed with what was written. It said his name etc etc that he would give me my name half his quarter share of estate.

My solicitor told me this is not legally binding and I am entitled to nothing as there was no witness.
Is that true?

Last edited:
Well your solictior would know I would imagine. Writing legally binding contracts isn't like writing a shopping list. You might be able to use it in any case you bring but if it is not enforcable, probably not much point. Will he not sign a proper contract witnessed by a solicitor?

Siobhan,

I'm not in the legal profession just personal experience, unfortunately, but in this country an ex-wife can bring her ex-husband (and vice-versa) back to court at any time after the divorce to revisit settlements and maintenance - mainly i think to cover if one or the other gets more or less money.

Could this work to your advantage?

Is he an ex-husband?

It'll cost too much but the threat might be enough....line up the witnesses..:D

Also keep in mind that even if he legally agrees it's nearly impossible to enforce it and get him to pay up. Life might be too short...

Back