Harvey Norman prices

vandriver

Possible warning!
I bought a washing machine in Harvey Normans yesterday.
The sticker price in store was €399.If you checked Harvey Normans website,they were quoting €328.When I queried this with the salesman ,he explained that all the products were price checked against the competition regularly,but that they don't change the in store price tags.
There was absolutely no problem getting the lower price,but it did get me thinking(!).
Will they gladly take the full price if you haven't checked their website?

exactly same thing happened me with a bed frame last month. It was €899 in store and €699 online. When I showed the assistant the online price on my phone he had no issue selling to me at that price.

This is not specific to Harvey Norman. I've seen it in other places too, from competitors all the way to Boots pharmacy. There's usually a disclaimer on website that it's an online only price, etc.
At least HN will give you the same price in store if you ask - I've been refused the online price in another store.

Agree with Red Onion, prices are very often flagged up "online only". I had not realised that some stores like Harvey Norman would give the online price.

Fair play to Harvey Norman for doing so.

Does their advertising reflect their practices? If they advertise prices which are available online only, then their ads should say this.

Brendan

Their Best Price Guarantee seems clear enough. Not sure if their online arm is a competitor of their stores?

We won't be beaten!
At Harvey Norman we monitor pricing everyday on a huge range of products

We will MATCH or BEAT any genuine competitor’s advertised price on the date you purchase or within 7 days of purchase.

We even MATCH competitors’ sale prices.

They clearly mark their online only deals.

But I assume that if it's not marked online only, then the price in the store should be the same as the price online.

Brendan

upload_2017-9-12_10-1-16.png

Download Pricespy app and scan the item instore if you can, or just input the item details. Sometimes even mentioning it gives you the online price. It happened me with a laptop and when my savvy 15 year old nephew pointed it out, I was refunded €100. Pricespy works for most stores not just Harvey Norman.

Ive always wondered what differents between price MATCHING and price FIXING for these companies....
Surely if all the big electrical sellers MATCH each others prices, then they are all charging the same for everything....

Halfords also have different on-line and store prices. If you show the price on-line they match it. 10% difference on a bicycle rack last Saturday was my experience

I will not buy from a shop that will merely match the price of a competitor on a point of principle. If they were serious about attracting business, the shop would have had that (competitive) price in the first place and a willingness to reduce a price to match clearly demonstrates to me that the shop must have been profiteering all along.

The shop that was cheapest initially gets my business.

Reactions: Leo
I will not buy from a shop that will merely match the price of a competitor on a point of principle. If they were serious about attracting business, the shop would have had that (competitive) price in the first place and a willingness to reduce a price to match clearly demonstrates to me that the shop must have been profiteering all along.

The shop that was cheapest initially gets my business.

I've absolutely the same opinion. It's like
"Oh we thought we'd charge more but we've been caught so we'll match the price"

rather than

"We'll try and charge the best price against the competition from the start"

The second category shop always get my business.

That PriceSpy app mentioned above is brilliant. It's not exhaustive but if you're about to pull the trigger on something just type it in to check to see if they know anybody doing it cheaper.

It nearly always pays to do some research on the net before you go and buy anything
My Blueray player stopped working the other day, Sony had the one I wanted on their website for €150, D.I.D had it for €110 and Argos had for €60
You would be correct in thinking Argos is the cheapest but for me the better value was D.I.D.
Why??
I paid €110 for the player but walked out of the shop with the player and a Voucher/Credit Note for €100 due to the "Double the difference guarantee"

Back