Harvey Norman doesn't refund or exchange if change my mind.

... is really charging on the double for the service that we're getting......

Hi Clubman,

I understand "charging on the double" or "double charging" to be a figure of speech meaning to "charge twice" or even "to overcharge". It would be similar to the phrase "double taxation" meaning the tax is levied twice but the amount on each occasion might be different.

aj

That is not what's confusing me what is confusing me is who here has argued that Harvey Norman charge twice for restocking? Nobody as far as I can see in which case all this talk of double charging for this service seems irrelevant.

That is not what's confusing me what is confusing me is who here has argued that Harvey Norman charge twice for restocking? Nobody as far as I can see in which case all this talk of double charging for this service seems irrelevant.

I said this, indirectly. For the third time, if a shop is including some percentage into the cost of their product to cover the cost of wages, that's charging the customer once. If they then charge the customer again separately for restocking, then that's charging the customer a second time.

I didn't say it was overcharging, or a ripoff or anything like that. I just said that the practice of charging extra for restocking was the equivalent of charging the customer twice for service.

If they then charge the customer again separately for restocking, then that's charging the customer a second time.
Yes - but who ever said that HN (who this thread is about after all) or any other retailer for that matter were doing this on returns?

Yes - but who ever said that HN (who this thread is about after all) or any other retailer for that matter were doing this on returns?

Okay, not HN in this instance, but I've come across a retailer on DNS who tried to charge a restocking fee when I went to return something to them.

hi sandy, harvey norman does have exchange policies notices on all cash desks. It does state you must return goods within 48 hours if you have simply changed your mind, however we will look after you , if at the time of purchase you tell us your not sure and you may need to return the goods but can,t get in to us for a few days, we can put a note on your invoice stating this. Any manager in any branch of HARVEY NORMANS would be glad to be of help in any way possible.

Welcome to AAM, goharveygo.

I'm guessing (wildly) that you have some connection to Harvey Norman — if so, can I ask that you kindly while posting? ;)

Restocking charge is not that unusual - we do it.

It depends on the item in question. Anything of an electrical/electronic/mechanical nature will have to be checked for functionality, damage, possibly cleaned, maybe even extensively tested and then repackaged. All takes man (or woman) hours which equals money.

It's a right pain, but again, it depends on the product, e.g. a bit rich charging a restocking fee for a cuddly toy or something.

whatever about exchanges...their stuff is not great quality and very epensive. i went into the new Harvey Norman in Carrickmines yesterday. The only semi-decent suite was €4500. i then went into classic furniture and the same suite was €2500. i was shocked. that and being attacked by all the sales staff is enough to never make me go in there again.

A friend recently bought a new type product in Harvey Norman's. He wasn't sure it would be quite good enough for what he wanted and said so at the time of purchase. He was told he could return it if it wasn't.
The product was in one of those difficult-to-open blister packs. He used the device and it was pretty obvious then it didn't meet his requirements regarding quality.
He returned the device, with the receipt and packaging which couldn't be easily replaced. Luckily he met the same assistant who sold the product to him. The return went smoothly.
I'm not sure if there was a refund or just a credit note but he chose to buy another product instead anyway.
I imagine the key is to discuss at the time of purchase the possibilty of returning the item and any conditions that might apply.

This thread isn't about the quality of their goods but of their returns policy... To be honest after working in retail for a number of years during school and college it kills me to hear people demanding cash refunds at every turn. The amount of people who would claim to be solicitors just to be smart and "scare" you because you wouldn't give them their cash back was unreal. And the first two words out of everyones mouth was "that's illegal".

It's not a swap shop so don't expect to be able to just bring it back because you haven't thought your purchase through or decided pink and green don't go together in your living room. I for one would hate to think an item I'd bought had been removed from a store, opened, and then returned simply for me to pay full whack for it. I have on a number of occasions demanded to get 'fresh' items in stores because they were obviously returns I was being offered.

Do people still have problems with Harvey Normans?

I am interested to know the above as I am considering buying a bed here quite soon and just looking to see if peoples experiences have improved with them.

Already I have gotten two different prices for the same goods from two different salesmen

Back