Harvey Norman Ads

I'm almost certain I hard one of the H N adds but the H N had been changed to Hardly Normal

Was I dreaming it ?

Re: .

I decided last week that instead of turning off the radio when the Harvey Norman ad came on, I'd wait and see what poor sod got their Ad played after it (and missed by lots of listeners who scrambled for the dial).

The follow up ad was for a charity. Can't remember which one, I was suffering Post Traumatic Stress, but since it was a charity I hope the station gave them a discount on the air time.

Can't bring myself to ever set foot in the place. But they've got us talking so the Ads worked.

I'm not a violent man, but give me a Weapon Of Mass Destruction (If you can find one) and the guy behing those Ads and I'll make an exception.

-Rd

Hardly Normal

There used to be an ad on the radio for Johnson Mooney & O'Brien bread, with an horrible child saying "The Three Bakers" in a most irritating voice. Every time it came on I used to scream at the radio. Bring back corporal punishment for the little obnoxious toad, I say!

Dont mind the Harvey Norman ones that much, I detest much more "Bathroom and Tiles Diiiiirect" which is cringeworthy and also "Linders" of Chapelizod was bad.

Another bad one was "Darling, I'm pregnant" Well just get a mini fillet burger from KFC. Irritating couple of weasels with english accents. Always knew KFC worked as a laxative, didnt know it worked as contraception as well.
AGHHHHH!

HN

Can it be coincidence that in this week's new HN radio advert the voice "artist" is less hysterical than usual, almost normal, you could say.

Hopefully someone in the agency saw this thread.

Well done AAM contibutors!

Hardly Normal

Yes their sales are 'Hardly Normal'

I have noticed today that he is a little more hysterical than yesterday, I'd say by Friday he'll be on the verge of choking trying to get the words out again and then back to gentler Harvey on Monday!!

Am I in a minority on one here. I like the HN adds. Not your mans voice but the girls singing Go Harvey Go.

The ad that really annoyed me was one for a washing powder a few years ago on TV where a girl comes up to her father who was covered in sweat and said "Poo Dad you smell" I think it was for Radion.

Murt

I like the HN adds. Not your mans voice but the girls singing Go Harvey Go.

You're one sick puppy Murt. One sick and twisted puppy ;)

I am never comfortable with the ads for nappies, loo roll, etc that show little kids in the nip or half-undressed. It always feels very exploitative, not to mention bloody weird in a world obsessed with the glorification of childhood and the preservation of childhood innocence, where nativity videos get banned in some schools in case paedophiles might get hold of them (and the kids are fully clothed). Either it's ok to show nude people in ads or it isn't; if anything shouldn't kids' bodies be even more protected than adults' ones, since they can't really understand or opine on the whole thing. And if we don't show adults taking a dump, why do we show kids doing it to sell loo roll? If you were odd enough to photograph your own kid on the loo, the photo shop would probably report you to the Guards.

Rebecca

If you were odd enough to photograph your own kid on the loo, the photo shop would probably report you to the Guards.

Nice hi-jack Rebecca :)
Good point though. I've often thought the same thing myself. Weren't Benetton asked to remove a recent ad campaign for this very same reason.
I think ultimately, there are certain codes of practice in life (these days) when it comes to dealing with children. Some of those codes have possibly been taken too far mind you.
But I think ultimately the point becomes this. If I watch a pampers ad I probably just turn over. Babies don't really interest me right now - unless I'm visiting my nieces and nephews. If I do watch it, like most people, I'm just thinking "cute kid". I can see the reason for banning this type of nudity but I think it depends on the ad itself.
Incidentally, there's plenty of both male and female nudity in ads on our screens these days.

Harvey Norman Ad

For me the new ad for TSB or is it Bank of Ireland (I'm unable to watch it to the end to figure out who its for) is the absolute pits. Its all over the TV and radio.

<slurp>, <slurp>, <slurp> please dont let them be up, please dont let them be up, <slurp>, <slurp>, there up.

Christ it drives me nuts

Would Harvey Norman be a good nickname for Roy Keane (i.e. no interest for two years)????

Back