Harvey Norman Ads

U

unreg

Does anyone find Harvey Norman Ads on Radio so annoying. I personally have to switch off as they are so corney, cringe inducing and down right embarrassing. Too much airtime.

Does anyone find Harvey Norman Ads on Radio so annoying
Yes.

But they know they're annoying. That's why they work.

Thanks by the way...I now have the ad playing over and over in my head!!!

Hardly Normal Ads

Yes they are annoying but they could be worse. Imagine a Harvey Norman done by an Irish Vocie Actor with a phoney Australian accent. Now that would be truly cringe making. As an aside my 5 year old loves the tune and wont stop singing it.

Re: Hardly Normal Ads

Imagine a Harvey Norman done by an Irish Vocie Actor with a phoney Australian accent

Stop it...you're giving them ideas!!!

what does he look like??

I agree with all of the above and I have a question! When you hear the ad, do you get a mental picture of "Harvey Norman"? You know, the guy doing the voice over? What is your mental picture of him?

Mine is....he's a big guy...aged about 60...tanned and healthy looking...grey hair...has a couple of big gold rings on his fingers...wears a yellow polo shirt and navy sports jacket...maybe holding a cigar...and he gets very excited about the price of electrical goods!! ;)

Now...after a year of being brainwashed by that ad, this image was automatically formed in my mind! What's your image of "Harvey Norman"?! (And if you have such an image....I guess it proves the effectiveness of the ad!!)

Re: what does he look like??

Paul Hogan...definitely. Crocodile Dundee in a red jumper!

Re: LOL

Could be worse... a pimpley bowser wearing a red jumper in his best Liberties accent shouting 'GET DOWN TA POWER CITY NOEW!

Re: LOL

Just in case it wasn't driving you mad by playing itself over and over in your head today...

...Go Harvey, go Harvey, goHarveyNOooormaan. Go Harvey Go Harvey...go Harvey GO!

...or something like that anyway! I wish it would stop.

Harvey Norman

That ad drives me insaaaaaane!

I have made a vow never ever ever to set foot in that shop!!!! ever.........

Re: Harvey Norman

bloody ad, sadly its not untypical for aussie ads to be like this one, it was the second most annoying ad on over there, there is one which is FAR worse though...

it involves special warehouse sales lasting about 2 weeks, and yer man gets more and more excited as each day goes on - its horrendous.

About the only thing I looked forward to about coming home was getting away from that shaggin harvey norman ad, and lo and behold, it followed me :\

far as i know the voice is actually from one of the Ozzie guys who works in the office in the H Norman store out near Dublin airport.
i would gladly burn the store down if it meant he was too busy cleaning the ashes up to do anymore ads....

Re: Blank Blank Ads

This thread just goes to prove that there is no such thing as bad advertising.

Marion :hat

Poor ads

I wonder if the radio stations realise how many people change station the moment that ad starts. Companies with any sense would demand not to have the slot after them. That way, it would be uneconomic for the radio stations to play the ad, and it would be pulled.
Having said that, there are other truly horrendous ads out there. I think Ireland has a very low standard of advert.

I've heard the ad and I have to say that it annoyed me a lot less than some of the crap that passes for programming that I've heard (e.g. any NewsTalk programme featuring Karen Coleman and her simplistic world view) :rolleyes

ads

I would put the ad in with other jingles that have catchy but annoying jingles. you know what the ad is for but it actually has a negative effect on the consumer as you hate the ad so much. ie, When I hear the Harvey norman ad, I get annoyed and I just wont go to the shop despite me knowing what harvey norman sell due to the advert. So its served its purpose but has produced an undesired side effect.
sort of disproves the theory that the only thing worse then being talked about is not being talked about.

Wasnt there a radio ad a few months ago about a guy who started in an office where they had to change the managers mans voice as it annoyed listeners so much? Id put this ad in the same bracket.

Karen Coleman

I think Karen Coleman on the wide angle on NT106 is excellent. She is well prepared, articulate and her voice is pleasant to the ear. This is a lot more than several other (mostly print journos) who are ill prepared, stumbling and grating to the ear.

I have to admit her voice does tend to take on a kindergarden tone at times but I wouldnt confuse this with a simplistic world view.

On a related note Dunphy is steadily imporving in the morning. I also like the (other) cork lady Orla Barry whos on after him. They repeat these shows late at night

Karen Coleman
Cork-born Karen Coleman began her broadcasting career in 1990 with RTE and moved onto Belfast where she joined the BBC. She spent almost ten years working with the BBC in Belfast, Glasgow, London and the war torn Balkans. After stints in Sarajevo, Belgrade and Serbia she left the Balkans in 1998 and returned to Ireland in 1999. In 2002 She decided to take her flak-jacket into the frontline of Irish broadcasting, becoming foreign editor for NewsTalk 106.

Orla Barry
Orla joined NewsTalk 106 from Radio Kerry's top-rating lunchtime current affairs programme. She has spent over a decade working in broadcasting and current affairs. Orla loves travelling and studied languages at UCC. Originally from Cork, Orla has lived in Dublin for years and keeps the rest of the Dubs on the show in hand.

ajapale

Karen Coleman

> I think Karen Coleman on the wide angle on NT106 is excellent. She is well prepared, articulate and her voice is pleasant to the ear. This is a lot more than several other (mostly print journos) who are ill prepared, stumbling and grating to the ear.

Have to disagree. Two separate incidents last weekend forced me to switch her off yet again: (1) her asinine assertion that most men would like their (female) partners to have a career AND do the housework/cooking/child rearing etc. and (2) her (third time in three separate programmes) simplistic insinuation that "drugs are bad" in the context of a discussion about the treatment of depression. She tries to come across authoritative on a variety of issues, and maybe sounds like she is to many people, but she is basically clueless on most.

> Orla Barry

Don't even get me started on that idiot! :rolleyes

:rolleyes

It's a close thing but...

The UTV Internet/Phone ads are the most annoying..the voice over repeating free free free free in style which I am not sure what they are aiming to mimic - is it a horse race? I am not sure as they have what sounds like elephants or something. Anyway, Harvey and this ad top the pile, followed by the old Micra ad with Deirdre O'Kane.

Back