Harney's worst ever proposal (and that's saying something)

I'm 58 and I have a long-term illness card with 6 line-items on the prescription - 4 are meds and 2 are test-items for monitoring symptoms.

The GP endorses the script "Repeat 5 times", thus writing 3 scripts / annum, but the pharmacist dispenses 13 times / annum.

Is Harney counting me for 3 scripts / annum or 13?

I think prescription charge is an incorrect title. What is mentioned in the RTE article is more of a dispensing charge. If they propose a "per drug dispensed" charge then I imagine you will have a fee for each line item per dispensing.

No, it's a great idea, and should be 5 Euro per prescription at least and please don't tell me that that is not affordable. Sorry, my years of dealing with people tells me that very few appreciate things they get for nothing, in fact make it 10 Euros. A pack of cigs costs over 8 Euro and is a pint 4 Euro? There are very few teetotaller, non smoking, Irish who have no cable tv or internet. You pay for everything else, that's what I'm saying so a small contribution to the cost of your health care is not onerous. The amount of drugs not taken by those who get them free is unbelievable,if they had to pay for them , they'd think twice!
Actually, in my opinion, the problem all along is giving anything for nothing , we can't afford it and we have too much sense of entitlement and she should roll back the over 70's medical card too.Yes, she did a bit but the income level is still high, and why is an old person with a good income more entitled to free care than children of a modest wage earner. It's when people are young with small children that their costs are higher. Not that I have any sympathy for her, she is part of that appalling government who ransomed our country's future for short term political gain and we the electorate put them in.
If nothing else comes out of this upheaval, wouldn't it be great if we grew up politically and put into power those who had some sense of national good and told us the truth about what we can afford and then led us. Utopia, I know, and sometimes I despair about us not just the government. They are a reflection of us, what a thought!!!

Well they're never goinig to solve the problem of over-prescribing with doctors like the [broken link removed]!

All she got was 2 years supervision after prescribing massive amounts of date-rape drugs - she should have been found unfit to practice and struck off the medical register because she knew what she was doing was seriously wrong and potentially very dangerous.

I read somewhere that she was targeted by druggies;reading between the lines, it sounded as if she was afraid. In a foreign country with potentially very violent people sitting across the desk from you in your one man surgery!!
Not condoning it at all but maybe the above result is the correct one.

I read somewhere that she was targeted by druggies;reading between the lines, it sounded as if she was afraid. In a foreign country with potentially very violent people sitting across the desk from you in your one man surgery!! Not condoning it at all but maybe the above result is the correct one.
I agree. Her case was heard by the IMC who had all the facts.

No, it's a great idea, and should be 5 Euro per prescription at least and please don't tell me that that is not affordable. Sorry, my years of dealing with people tells me that very few appreciate things they get for nothing, in fact make it 10 Euros. A pack of cigs costs over 8 Euro and is a pint 4 Euro? There are very few teetotaller, non smoking, Irish who have no cable tv or internet. You pay for everything else, that's what I'm saying so a small contribution to the cost of your health care is not onerous. The amount of drugs not taken by those who get them free is unbelievable,if they had to pay for them , they'd think twice!
Actually, in my opinion, the problem all along is giving anything for nothing , we can't afford it and we have too much sense of entitlement and she should roll back the over 70's medical card too.Yes, she did a bit but the income level is still high, and why is an old person with a good income more entitled to free care than children of a modest wage earner. It's when people are young with small children that their costs are higher. Not that I have any sympathy for her, she is part of that appalling government who ransomed our country's future for short term political gain and we the electorate put them in.
If nothing else comes out of this upheaval, wouldn't it be great if we grew up politically and put into power those who had some sense of national good and told us the truth about what we can afford and then led us. Utopia, I know, and sometimes I despair about us not just the government. They are a reflection of us, what a thought!!!
Good post Brianne. I have no problem with a fee. Both my parents have a medical card, bus pass, TV licence, some of the ESB and telephone paid and a pension. Last year someone called out and put an outside light over the front door (mom was asking Dad to do that for 20 years). They often remark about how much they get from the state.

Good post Brianne. I have no problem with a fee. Both my parents have a medical card, bus pass, TV licence, some of the ESB and telephone paid and a pension. Last year someone called out and put an outside light over the front door (mom was asking Dad to do that for 20 years). They often remark about how much they get from the state.

Similarly, my parents earn 55k approx, pay 2% income tax, and get a medical card.

Is that any way to run a country???

a few articles in the Indo today about generic drugs and asking people to pay for branded stuff.

My own father has both a private pension as well as a state pension. He went to his doctor and demanded a bottle of Gaviscon on his medical card because his existing unopened one was a week out of date. Thankfully his doctor ran him.

I agree with Brianne too. They have the same problem with the NHS in the UK also. A small charge is necessary so a benefit isn't abused.

Back