Hard Drive for storage of photos ? Recommendation

pj111

Hi I am looking for a hard drive that I can use to keep photos as a back up. I want it to be fairly light so as I can carry around. I want to be able to plug into usb and transfer files ie not have to plug in for power. I don't want software on the drive that automatically backsup the whole of my pc as I use pc for work and personal use.

Ideally to future proof, 1tb would be nice but I can't seem to find one that does both of the above. I have many thousands of photos.

If anyone knows of one that will do the trick that would be helpful. Thanks

We got [broken link removed] 1TB in DID recently for €67.99 - would it do the same job?

Edit: Iomega 1TB which I think is the same one from Pixmania quoted above.

Thanks to you both - such quick replies.

Sueellen, does this one not need a power adapter to use?

#34968 looks thinner on the DID website than on pixmania site. Dabs site mentions about an adapter ~
I cannot post links because Im new.

There is always a risk of failure with any device like this. Are you prepared to risk your entire photographic archive for one electrical failure, or for one spilt coffee?

Why not keep your archive online with Picasa or Flickr or similar?

The tech spec sheet on your pixmania link says "Desktop hard drive, USB 1.1/2.0 cable, power cable, quick-start guide" yet "The Iomega Select Desktop's USB interface makes it easy to hook up to any PC with a USB port"

There is always a risk of failure with any device like this. Are you prepared to risk your entire photographic archive for one electrical failure, or for one spilt coffee?

Why not keep your archive online with Picasa or Flickr or similar?

Well I have them on my pc which is getting full very quickly. I take a lot of photographs at a large resolution for a project Im working on and Im looking to have a backup of them and to add new ones when necessary.

I keep meaning to back them up as I have another dead pc with the hard disk from it waiting to have other photos transferred from it. I just have to get some type of casing to house the disk drive so I can transfer.

AFAIK a Desktop external hard drive will always have a power adaptor. A portable external hard drive does not.

The tech spec sheet on your pixmania link says "Desktop hard drive, USB 1.1/2.0 cable, power cable, quick-start guide" yet "The Iomega Select Desktop's USB interface makes it easy to hook up to any PC with a USB port"

The ones I'm looking at are all portable ones ... all usb powered, no mention of power adapters.

This external hard drive requires power:

Unless your PC drive is very large, I'm not sure how backup drives are going to help you. Backup drives are great as backups, but not great if the only copy of the photos is going to be on the backup drive.

Have you thought about online storage?

I have 500gb on the pc - some of the photos are not required permanently but I want to have them backed up, others of family are already backed up on 320gb hard drive. Cloud computing is for another day. Thanks for your help.

I have a few Iomega Hard Drives on the go. So far so good. I notice that Pixamania has received some bad reviews for products delivered.
I have never used them so I can't say anything definite on that matter.
For Iomega it is always useful to look at Peats either online or by calling in to one of their shops.

We got [broken link removed] 1TB in DID recently for €67.99 - would it do the same job?

Edit: Iomega 1TB which I think is the same one from Pixmania quoted above.

Went into DID today and it has a power adapter so it must be a portable one that I'm looking for.

I have a large collection of photos and videos which I have on an external HDD, but its a mechanical device that is prone to wear and quite delicate to handle, so I have been looking at USB flash drive but my original thought was it would never hold my collection. I use 33GB of a 1TB HDD, and there are 64GB USB available for around 100Euro. Some reviews of these show youtube clips of them being dropped, driven over, washed etc and survive. Its not a mechanical device so is that much sturdier than a HDD.

Back