HAP Tenant offers to buy their rented property

They are exiting HAP - they are buying a house.

One could also argue that my tax euros have been funding both your income & capital appreciation of your asset.

In any event, if you want to sell, sell.

Its no skin off your nose who buys it.
Nobody forced the State to rent from the poster. It's (or at least was) a free market but due to the entitlement culture, the lack of council property etc landlords have become the scapegoat and comments like the above show how the public have completely missed this fact.

Some landlords must have very thin skin or very elevated paranoia to consider what @DannyBoyD posted to be anti-landlord sentiment!
People want the property sector to be professional etc. Currently everything is pitched against the small landlord but people are so naively following the media its actually sad people don't see it.

Tenant friendly RTB, Revenue receiving the lions share of income, interest rates increasing. Non payment of rent evictions are almost impossible.

Landlords have no problem competing in a market but don't expect them to do it with their hands tied.

People want the property sector to be professional etc. Currently everything is pitched against the small landlord but people are so naively following the media its actually sad people don't see it.

Tenant friendly RTB, Revenue receiving the lions share of income, interest rates increasing. Non payment of rent evictions are almost impossible.

Landlords have no problem competing in a market but don't expect them to do it with their hands tied.
Not sure why you quoted my post as your comments seem like a complete non sequitur to what I posted in relation to @DannyBoyD's previous post?

A very simple question from the OP - should someone in receipt of HAP be in a position to buy a house worth close to half a million? I don't see how it should be possible as you shouldn't be getting HAP if you have the capabilities to buy a house (mortgage or cash) for that value. I would suggest either misinformation or missing information somewhere along the line.

In relation to some comments above re HAP, and what's going on out there,

I spoke to someone who wasn't happy in their job, as they wanted more money, offered them a position with more money than they were getting,... Stipulation.. I cant increase their salary on the books, it will affect their HAP Payments!!

The person wanted me to be creative in how the earned more money, ie, company, Visa, Fuel Allowances, and vouchers etc.

The Morality police are out in force here, yet, the shenanigan's going on under our very noses to circumvent the limits are astounding. Its a bloody disgrace that that's the thinking involved, and seen to be acceptable.

This is the second time I've been asked to assist in these situations.

Spoke to this person months later, the original employer, got creative and they still work there. Its not right.

Grand, i only know of 2 people on the system, but I'm not that naïve to think its not being abused

There is a problem there, wake up to it..

In relation to some comments above re HAP, and what's going on out there,

I spoke to someone who wasn't happy in their job, as they wanted more money, offered them a position with more money than they were getting,... Stipulation.. I cant increase their salary on the books, it will affect their HAP Payments!!

The person wanted me to be creative in how the earned more money, ie, company, Visa, Fuel Allowances, and vouchers etc.

The Morality police are out in force here, yet, the shenanigan's going on under our very noses to circumvent the limits are astounding. Its a bloody disgrace that that's the thinking involved, and seen to be acceptable.

This is the second time I've been asked to assist in these situations.

Spoke to this person months later, the original employer, got creative and they still work there. Its not right.

Grand, i only know of 2 people on the system, but I'm not that naïve to think its not being abused

There is a problem there, wake up to it..
Compared with some other jurisdictions, I personally believe that the off-the-book work is much more prevalent here. I had a potential renter who told me they had a payslip covering 3 days but they actually worked 5 or 6. I had a genuine conversation with a worker telling me that since COVID his business was less profitable as people paid cards instead of cash so everything needed to be declared. I had some established businesses refusing card payments. It's nearly impossible to get a receipt from some service providers and quotes often seem to be for cash payment. I lived abroad and the situation was different. It is an issue that is largely ignored in my point of view.

A HAP tenant has expressed an interest in buying their rented property (estimate value €425/450k) out of the blue. I am taking it as a genuine approach but am surprised they can or would want to buy when getting approx 14k pa in rent paid for them and no cost of ownership outlays etc.

Has anyone experience of this before?
Where young (or even older) adults have quite wealthy families have significant family support, they won't qualify for anything that requires means testing. This creates a perverse incentive to move out and live independently. Do know of at least one case like the one above, family has around 2m worth of independent wealth, a few properties, their own business, which they give him a job in (he is too irresponsible to sign the business over as he'd wreck it), and he also has gambling winnings of over 100k which he doesn't declare. And of course a spouse and child who are more than happy to play along.

I was not considering selling at present, but definitely in next few years. I might get a valuation and then make final decision on it. If I was to serve notice and put it on the market it would sell easily, probably with quite a lot of interest.

I dont know much of their finances as I had no reason to know it. Rent was paid and the place looked after. I am unsure if they coud get that much in a mortgage (many not on HAP could not) or if they could get a mortgage while on HAP.

Edit: Just to add, I have nothing against anyone on HAP. Maybe my real question or issue is how someone in receipt of housing benefit is looking to buy a property that would be out of reach for many couples.

Is the scheme supporting people that no longer require Housing support? In such cases, could the money be put to better use?
It very much sounds like they have family resources which could be tapped. There is no way a HAP tenant could get a mortgage under normal circumstances, unless they have secret lives as criminal masterminds.

Wow, some of the posts in this thread surely show that Ireland of the squinting windows/twitching curtains is alive and kicking in the 21st century! :oops:
My HAP tenant offered to buy off me last year. He was using cash he had from his business, said he had 100K, and needed to sell 2 houses in X (abroad, not Europe) to get the rest. He also showed me three plots of land he has bought in Ireland. On which he constructed a business that cannot be seen (cash natch). And yes I saw it. I also went into the land registry website to check he owed it. From his calling me to his location he gave me the Eircode and based on my memory of walking the land with him I was able to track down the three plots.

I can verify this if AAM wants. As I have emails from him. Plus a letter from his solicitor. Plus a land registry folio. Plus the Hap records. He's also constructed a dwelling house (illegal clearly). He got advice from a council fellow he's friendly with.

The sale fell thru and he's now out. He also has tried to diddle HAP, by claiming it for the full month, which I got, and wants me to refund him the half month of that, as 'he paid it'. I'm mulling reporting him to HAP, revenue and the council. He is the first tenant I have ever not given the deposit back to. In the hope he will take a RTB case against me for it. Because I will love that.

We finally got him out by threatening law with him. And yes I can supply AAM with that too.

There's no squinting windows where he is, he's too smart for that. And he thinks he's too smart for Irish systems. So far he's winning. Eldest son is now going into the business.

So I wonder if he'll come back at me, I'll enjoy that as he led me a merry dance. He did apologise when the game was up. For what he did. (yes I've that email too) Which he thinks I'm stupid enough to believe. Money talks, so I think he's getting the message. But I'd really like if he took a bite at me via the RTB for the deposit.

A HAP tenant has expressed an interest in buying their rented property (estimate value €425/450k) out of the blue. I am taking it as a genuine approach but am surprised they can or would want to buy when getting approx 14k pa in rent paid for them and no cost of ownership outlays etc.

Has anyone experience of this before?
HAP tenant's. I've had plenty. People have no clue what is going on. And if you alert HAP, you can be sure you'll end up with no rent and a sitting tenant. They are at everything you couldn't even imagine.

But how dare anyone say anything truthful about some of them. Look at the reaction to your post and any poster who dared to say people are creaming the system.

Seriously?! You mean they should be forced to rent for the rest of their lives?
I don’t think @Luternau was making any such insinuation.

Surely HAP is for those who can’t afford to rent on their own means. It assumes they’re on the waiting list for social housing.

If they reach the point however where they can afford to buy a house, there’s been a point along the way where they no longer needed HAP assistance. It’s not the function of HAP to enrich people to the point where they can afford to buy themselves (assuming they no longer enjoy the free rental!).

If they’ve continued to receive state assistance when they’re in a position to fund their own rental, it’s frankly shameful. They’re diverting limited funding away from those who really need it.

Or you could look at it that they are removing themselves completely from needing state supported housing. For which, good bloomin' luck to them.

They are exiting HAP - they are buying a house.

One could also argue that my tax euros have been funding both your income & capital appreciation of your asset.

In any event, if you want to sell, sell.

Its no skin off your nose who buys it.
Anyone exiting HAP and able to purchase a house for €450K is well dodgy. And it's skin off everybody's nose if people are able to get free housing while hiding assets everywhere. If it walks like a duck ..........

"Free housing"?

News to me, I understood HAP subsidised rent - are you telling me its paid in full?

"Free housing"?

News to me, I understood HAP subsidised rent - are you telling me its paid in full?
Pretty much for all my tenants, they paid a minor amount. Hap pays me the full amount, and the tenant pays the council/Corporation their share. In the case of the guy I spoke about, he was not declaring his assets or income to HAP. Clearly. He was at it for years to try and get the Hap and gave up a job to get it.

So can we extrapolate from the sentiments expressed here; do folks also believe that those who are living in social (state built) housing should also not be in a position to buy their home?

[As an aside if you read my many posts on the topic - you'll notice that I am a property owner of several tenanted properties.]

I've looked up the HAP subsidies; as a sample, adult sharer might get €430 a month. From what I can see in my locality, room shares are around 750 all the way up to 1000 per month. Wouldnt consider that to be "free".

Slightly off topic, but I wonder have HAP subsidies contributed to rent inflation.

I would not think that hap or leaving in state housing should never be in a position to buy their home. However we are talking here of an accommodation requiring 40k deposit and 100k income in terms of mortgage.

I would not think that hap or leaving in state housing should never be in a position to buy their home. However we are talking here of an accommodation requiring 40k deposit and 100k income in terms of mortgage.
In a market of rising interest rates.

Back