HAP reduced monthly instalments.

Alice123

Hello,
I've been on HAP for a few years with my son. I've been working all this time part time. My 20 year old son recently started a minimum wage work and when emailed HAP to update details, they not only raised my weekly charged, which was expected, but they also reduced the amount they will pay for my monthly rent from €1,500 to €1,161 and notified me of this only couple of days before change. My 20 year old son and I live together and I already top up my monthly rent by €300 to my landlord in addition to my weekly payments to HAP.

Email from HAP:

"Thank you for email.

I have assessed the differential rent payable based on your current income and have submitted an amendment to Limerick which will increase the differential rent payable by you to €59.28 effective from 4th September 2023.

If you are paying by standing order you will need to contact your bank and arrange to have your standing order amended accordingly.

Please note that effective from 1st September 2023 the HAP monthly contribution will decrease to €1,161.00 and you are responsible for the balance.

Regards"

I expected and understood the increase in weekly payments to HAP, but sudden reduction of monthly instalments from HAP towards my rent was unexpected.

Would appreciate any advice and explanation.

Your local authority will be the only body who can confirm exactly why the change is happening.

One possible explanation is that you were assessed as 1 adult and child family, and you are now being assessed as 1 adult, with lower maximum rent limits.

Back