HAP Inspection.

cremeegg

I let a property under the HAP scheme last year. It was inspected by the council at the time.

Today I received a letter to say that the council intends to carry out another inspection. It will be almost exactly 12 months after the HAP began.

the letter refers to

Housing Acts 1966-2014 Housing (Standards for rented Houses) regulations 2107

and

Section 18(2)Housing (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1992

A number of points jumped out at me.

"As a landlord, you are required to ensure that full access is given to the property."

Really?, Is the tenants permission not required ?

"Therefore it is a requirement that either you or someone else attends on your behalf on this date"

"You should ensure that the property is in an adequately clean and tidy state to facilitate the inspection"

Really?. Is cleaning he place not the tenants responsibility? As landlord I didn't think I had the right to go in and clean up.

Now, from a practical point of view, there will be no problem, (I hope), the tenant keeps the place well and nothing has changed since the last inspection. But no one like to be inspected, and an exact 12 months after the HAP started seems surprising, and the tone of the letter would be unacceptable in private business. Basic politeness seems too much to expect from our public service.

Back