Halifax regular saver rate

I was going to open an EBS reguler savings account but this is being reviewed in April.

I think I'll hold off for a while.

My Halifax account has gone down to 4%.

I went into my local branch last thursday week to withdraw money from money saver account, 11 days later money is still not in my BOI account. So much for the 5 working days they say. I rang today, the lady said that someone had just put through the transaction a few minutes ago and it would take another 48hrs. When I questioned her on the delay she said it was due to the high level of withdrawels being requested. 2 weeks to withdraw money! And I thought NR was bad!

Just sent my request for account closure... I am sure it will take a while as well...

I'm very disappointed with halifax... And I don't find their ads (although supposed to be funny) very appropriate as well...:confused:

Money's not displaying in NR yet, though I did just receive confirmation that my Flexi Saver accounts been opened & that the Access Codes are on the way :)

Just a quick question.

I started a monthly saver in December 06, paying the full €750 a month. In December 07 I recieved only about €80 interest for the year, does this sound right or is it a bit too low, it seems to be? I missed the 1st direct debit due to a mix up with the bank but Halifax assured me that I'd still get the full 7+% but it seems like I haven't?

Also does it make sence to transfer the money into my flexisaver @ 5.15% or keep it in this account till the end of the year so as not to loose out on the bonus interest.

I couldn't be bothered filling in forms and changing the direct debit to €10 a month if it's only going to be worth a small ammount more than putting it in the flexi saver account.

Thanks in advance.

I started a monthly saver in December 06, paying the full €750 a month. In December 07 I recieved only about €80 interest for the year, does this sound right or is it a bit too low, it seems to be? I missed the 1st direct debit due to a mix up with the bank but Halifax assured me that I'd still get the full 7+% but it seems like I haven't?
Yeah - according to this calculator €750 a month for 12 months should be c. €337 gross interest. Did you see two interest lodgements on your statement? If not then you may have only received the base rate and not also the bonus.

Yeah - according to this calculator €750 a month for 12 months should be c. €337 gross interest. Did you see two interest lodgements on your statement? If not then you may have only received the base rate and not also the bonus.

Thanks for the quick reply.

There was only one interest payment, the base rate I expect.

The problem is how I can convince them that I should have been paid the full amount of interest when looking at my account they will just see that there was one missing lodgement. As I said, the person I spoke to said it was fine but I have no proof of this.

They are checking up on it and say they will ring me back later, I predict annoyance.

There was only one interest payment, the base rate I expect.
Sounds like it - if you got the base and bonus rates of interest then there should have been two interest lodgements.
The problem is how I can convince them that I should have been paid the full amount of interest when looking at my account they will just see that there was one missing lodgement. As I said, the person I spoke to said it was fine but I have no proof of this.
Going to be difficult to prove your case so I'm afraid... :(

Sounds like it - if you got the base and bonus rates of interest then there should have been two interest lodgements.

Going to be difficult to prove your case so I'm afraid... :(

Will be difficult, and I know it's a very long shot, but could there be a record of your call?

Went into Branch on 26th Feb to withdraw money from regular saver to my current account. still not in the current a/c today (march 7)!!

Went into Branch on 26th Feb to withdraw money from regular saver to my current account. still not in the current a/c today (march 7)!!

I went into my branch on Wednesday and got cash from my regular saver by just providing my drivers licence. It was only a withdrawal of most of the funds. Maybe when I go to close the account completely, it will be a different story.

I got told to fax them a request with hand written signature, so I said, too complicated and went into the Branch.

They said they don't deal with withdraws from that type of account and made me fill out a form that they say will be processed next day by the savings account team.

And that was 5 days ago.

Today again I hear the halifax advertising how difficult it is to withdraw savings at other banks (i.e. only when moon is right and so on).

A disgrace. First they don't inform me about the change of interest rate in accordance with their own T&C and now they hang on to the money.

What do I care that they have a lot of withdraw requests running, they saw that one comming, so have staff to deal with it.

First they don't inform me about the change of interest rate in accordance with their own T&C and now they hang on to the money.

Do their Terms and conditions specifically state that they will inform the customer when the rate changes? I was not informed either. :confused:

The account I opened was their regular saver account in approx June 2006.

Do their Terms and conditions specifically state that they will inform the customer when the rate changes? I was not informed either. :confused:

The account I opened was their regular saver account in approx June 2006.

11.1 We will tell you about any changes we make under condition 3.1 and 10.1 to the interest rate which we pay on your credit balance or charge you on any overdraft, by putting a notice in at least three national daily papers and in our branches, or by writing to you.

Initially it seemed I'd be able to do it over the phone but I was eventually put on hold & then told that actually, we'd need this in writing.
Ok, dropped it in at the local branch the next day (21st Feb).
Few days later got a call (26 or 27th Feb) querying the Sort Code (As clarified earlier by Clubman, Northern Rock uses an AIB Clearing Account). Advised all details given were correct.
Finally got a statement indicating that the account was closed on 3rd March.
The money's not showing up in NR as of yesterday (Sites down at the moment), though they did inform me it was transferred from their end Ok.

That said, I did in the intervening time decide I may as well open a Flexi-Saver account & encountered zero problems with that.

My Regular Saver is one year old on 20th March and I want to withdraw and move money into different other accounts. Reading about the difficulty and delays people encountered, I wonder would it be a better idea moving the funds into a Halifax Flexi saver first and then withdrawing bit by bit. I live near the branch so it would be no problem going in and getting the money out whenever I need it.
Initially, I was planning to get a cheque from the branch, isn't that possible without any delay? How flexible is the "Flexi"saver?

Fanny

Back