Halifax reducing deposit rate

Anglo are changing fixed rates effective Tuesday - probably missed with all the news see [broken link removed]

Anglo are changing fixed rates effective Tuesday - probably missed with all the news see [broken link removed]

This is big news for savers.

So everyone has one last day - Monday to lock at 6.00% before the rate finishes.

I hope people notice this.

Although in fairness, the new rate is not that much lower, so for most people it won't affect things hugely, I mean for every €10,000 I think it works out at less han €60 extra in interest over the year. I know it's still money at the end of teh day, but not a disaster for anyone if they miss it really. 5.25% is a decent rate still and you are locking away your money for a year so you want to be sure / think about it fully first.

When I started my Halifax 5.6% account 2 weeks ago 2 seperate staff members told me that I had 30 days in which I could add more funds to the account. I'm not sure if that still stands now rates have dropped but I'm going to try it. If anyone else has recently opened this account they may wish to give it a go too.

When I started my Halifax 5.6% account 2 weeks ago 2 seperate staff members told me that I had 30 days in which I could add more funds to the account. I'm not sure if that still stands now rates have dropped but I'm going to try it. If anyone else has recently opened this account they may wish to give it a go too.

You could be right but my understanding of that would be that you have 30 days from the date of opening the account to lodge your once-off lump sum into the account as opposed to having 30 days to make as many lodgements as you like.

I was told one couldn't add to the account and couldn't open a second in my own name, but could have a joint account.

I was told one couldn't add to the account and couldn't open a second in my own name, but could have a joint account.

From the T&Cs on the Halifax website:

You are not permitted to have more than 3 accounts of the same term at any one time (at least one of which must be a joint account)

and

No further lodgements may be made to your account once the account opening deposit has been made.

I opened one yesterday and was told I could definitely deposit additional funds and avail of the 5.6% rate for up to 28 days. Yet when I opened one in December I was told no further deposit could be made.

I opened a joint account in early December and was told then I could add to the account anytime within 30 days of opening. The 30 days elapsed last week. Yesterday I opened a single account on the phone - the very helpful customer services girl filled out the form, told me just to sign it and return with cheque during the week. By the way is the 5.60% still available? Still on the website and the customer services lady gave me the impression it didn't end yesterday.

I can also vouch for their excellent customer service. Everytime I deal with them they're quick, polite and much friendlier than other banks. I opened a flexi-saver recently and all I had to do was sign and date the form - the cashier did the rest after I left. Opening Saturdays is great too!

That said, my cc is staying with AIB until Halifax get their cc online banking sorted out.

What do you think of their (new?) Flexisaver product - 5.15%AER
[broken link removed][broken link removed]

Interesting to read about Halifax customer service.

Mrs redstar went into the local branch last week to withdraw Euro20 from her deposit a/c.
a. She had to produce id.
b. She had to wait 20mins before they gave her the 20.
No reasons, no apologies given.

I have had 2 regular savers and a flexi saver with Halifax. Good quickly answered customer care. Was quite happy with bank. However about 8 months ago when interest rates dropped and I tried to withdraw money from regular saver. It took about 3 weeks to withdraw money by post. Then I tried to withdraw money from other account at branch- computer systems were down so I had to withdraw by post - another 2 weeks delay. I requested account statement on flexi saver account they didn't send it until requested again.
These 3 problems happened within about 1 month. Before this for 1 or 2 years no problem, since for about 1 year no problems. Regular saver accounts are very restrictive. Flexi saver account is good simple account, no dealing with products

Do the provide internet access to the likes of their Flexisaver a/c so that once can move money from that a/c to say BOI without a branch visit?

All your accounts show up on the online banking so you can view the balance, see the transactions and, in the case of the flexi-saver account, transfer money in and out to other accounts and banks just like your current account.

I did much the same today. Rang them up. I already have a number of accounts with Halifax so didn't need any of the ID forms etc. Lady is sending me out the form all filled out except for my signature & confirmed that because I have signalled that I want to open the account before Sat that the rate is held for me provided I get the form sent back within 30 days.

After phoning on Saturday, I've received my forms today. There is no mention on the form you have to sign about the 5.6% rate. They sent a flyer with the form detailing the new lesser rates. So I get the feeling I was told porkies over the phone and will get the new lesser rates once I sign up.

Likw Yogi Bear, I got the forms this morning also - no mention of 5.60%, just a flyer with the new rates. I have sent cheque and signed form but enclosed a covering letter stating I was promised the 5.60% rate and if the new rates apply to tear up the form and return the cheque.

I opened a 5.6% account recently by walking into the branch and was concerned about what would happen if the rate went down before my cheque had cleared. The official assured me I'd get that days rate and offered to post me out a statement showing the opening date and rate. It had the 5.6% rate and the start date was 3 days before the cheque cleared.

Back