Halifax or Anglo fastest for opening fixed term deposit a/c for new customer?

marshmallow

Am trying to decide between opening a Halifax fixed term deposit account at 5.6% or an Anglo one at 6% but I need to get it setup before I go abroad on Monday week. To anyone who has either/both, once you get all docs together and application in, generally how long does it take for account to be setup and ready to go? Days/weeks etc? Have enquired at both and it seems that they can't open accounts in branch :rolleyes:

I know a few years I called into Anglo on Stephens Green, no appointment or anything - no probs. Have they changed ?
[broken link removed]

Same with Halifax - just called in and was no probs.
[broken link removed]

Just make sure you have a few bills/ID/PPS number etc... usually bring more than I need just in case!! (very few accept mobile phone bills nowadays btw)

Have enquired at both and it seems that they can't open accounts in branch :rolleyes:

I called into Anglo on Stephens Green, Dublin, 5 months ago and opened the 8% regular saver there and then. As mentioned, have passpost & a credit card bill to verify identity and address and there should be no probs...

Opened a Fixed rate account in Halifax during the week. I had downloaded the application form and had completed it and had all of my documentation. I was in and out in literally five minutes. This was the case even though I was a new customer.

Compare that to the bullsh1t that First Active made me go through to open a similar account. Three weeks later and it still annoys me to think about it. So much so that I will probably close my account there at the end of the term.

Just curious as to why you haven't used Investec (Best buy!) at 6.5% Marshmallow?

Has anybody else opened a fixed term a/c with them recently? How was the experience? I've just asked them to send on the forms to me.

I e-mailed Investec for application forms last Monday and they e-mailed them by return. Yesterday I got a reminder from them pointing out it is a limited offer. They also stated ECB likely to reduce interest rates by another 0.5% next Wednesday, down to 2.75%. Mentioned they are guaranteed under the British guarantee scheme i.e. 100% up to £50,000. There is no doubt 6.5% fixed for 1 year appears very attractive and I keep asking how can they do it in the present climate. Minimum investment is €20,000. I think I will go for it before it is fully subscribed.

Opened a Fixed rate account in Halifax during the week. I had downloaded the application form and had completed it and had all of my documentation. I was in and out in literally five minutes. This was the case even though I was a new customer.

That's interesting, did they give you the account number and all details there and then? They told me over the phone that the documentation has to go to some central office in Dundalk and from there they have to send me out all the info. I couldnt wait for that as I'm going abroad shortly and wanted to have all details before I left.

Then I sent all the info to Anglo and in the meantime they came back to me saying that the photocopy of my drivers licence (I sent passport too) was slightly off the page :(

While I think of it, do these accounts have online access and all the obligatory do-dahs and keycards that NIB, Rabo etc give you?

Just curious as to why you haven't used Investec (Best buy!) at 6.5% Marshmallow?

Never heard of them until recently and I don't know anything about them so they don't appeal (I know, I know, crazy reasoning considering that all banks are a bit shaky at the mo ;))

That's interesting, did they give you the account number and all details there and then? They told me over the phone that the documentation has to go to some central office in Dundalk and from there they have to send me out all the info. I couldnt wait for that as I'm going abroad shortly and wanted to have all details before I left.

There is a pdf of the Fixed Rate Account application form on their website. They didn't give me details of the account number there, they send all that information later by post. They simply game me a receipt for the amount deposited.

Halifax sends you ur account number in 2 working days and ur netbanking password in 5-7 days. Not very sure abt anglo.

I have opened accounts with both Halifax and Anglo in the past. Halifax was quick and painless. Anglo took slightly over a week but relatively painless. Halifax have better online banking but Anglo have some better fixed rates.

Anyway, as the previous poster said you are better off with Investec.

Just to update, got Anglo sorted within a couple of days of resending the information with better DL scan, so thumbs up to Anglo!

Back