Halifax -How safe now?

• Thread starter Drudge Queen
  • Start date
D

Drudge Queen

Does anyone know how safe is the Halifax now that the Lloyds deal may not go through.I started the 5.6% fixed one year rate a few weeks ago.I don't think you can take the deposit out anyway without penalties, is anyone else a bit worried? I would appreciate any information.

You are guaranteed up to €100,000 so unless you have more than that I wouldn't worry. Chances are the deal will still go through in some shape of form.

Thanks for that, wasn't sure if it was guaranteed.

If you go to the Irish Times todays paper - 1st of October page 10 you will see a page highlighting the banks, the amounts and the coverage relevant to ireland and includes all the banks not just the "6 Irish Banks"

So basically the 100% guarantee up to 100k stays as before on all the other banks from what I read - the government should have re iterated this but then again why have clarity !!

So basically the 100% guarantee up to 100k stays as before on all the other banks from what I read - the government should have re iterated this but then again why have clarity !!

Without regulation in place, this probably is just talking. The question is when will this become law.

Hi gmoney,

correct me if im wrong but is the 100% of 100k not already in place since 20th September - and its the 100% backing of the "6" that is still to be passed??

correct me if im wrong but is the 100% of 100k not already in place since 20th September

That's what I was told when I talked to one bank. My understanding was 100% for 100k immediately took effect since the day the Minister of Finance announced the plan. The bank advised me however it needs regulation. I would appreciate if anyone can confirm whether that's true and when it will be regulated.

That's what I was told when I talked to one bank. My understanding was 100% for 100k immediately took effect since the day the Minister of Finance announced the plan. The bank advised me however it needs regulation. I would appreciate if anyone can confirm whether that's true and when it will be regulated.

The 100k is mentioned all over the financial regulator site - so surely it's definite?

Back