Hacking into Email/ Home computer

Could you get someone to contact him as if they had seen his profile on the website and see what happens?

LOL. This is getting to be interesting. Who knew there were so many amateur private detectives on AAM.

how did you discover this had happened?

was it after you found the mail or before?

i'm lmao here

S.

Yeah, there's another explanation alright. Forget about the cover-up and focus on the "crime."

focus on the crime.

Yeah, maybe this is all an April fool to punish you for reading his email.

But seriously, it is possible for someone to have accessed the PC remotely and retrieved the files. Fairly unlikely though, from what you've described.

Yeah, maybe this is all an April fool to punish you for reading his email.

But seriously, it is possible for someone to have accessed the PC remotely and retrieved the files. Fairly unlikely though, from what you've described.

As I said, if the OP wants to rule this out it is a simple matter of retrieving the email that was sent, checking the full headers and copying the sender IP address. Put it into an engine like the one provided here and it will give you an approximate location as well as the ISP provider.

If the ISP provider was different to your own well then her oh may have a case.

if the OP wants to rule this out it is a simple matter of retrieving the email that was sent
Disagree. Hacker could happen to use the same ISP. Or could have sent it from their PC using remote control.

We really need to see the actual pictures before an accurate assessment can be made.

Hack into his Amazon account and see if he purchased http://www.amazon.co.uk/Little-Encyclopedia-Outrageous-Excuses-Encyclopedias/dp/1402719264 (this book) recently:

1402719264.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_AA240_.jpg

If the sequence of events started with susie's discovery of the "confirmation" notice from the "dating" site (while reading her partner's email), a hacker-free scenario begins to present itself...

If you really want to get to the bottom of this, then go for the guy who confessed to doing it. Initiate proceedings to have him prosecuted / disciplined by police/employer. Then see how far his loyalty towards your oh stretches and if his story changes.

I'd make him pay in any case. As a practical joke its immature and stupid and an adult who posted deserves some consequences.

Are you all still friends after this ?

A point I dont get though is which phone number was posted ? The house phone which is accessed and answered by both you and your oh or your other halfs mobile number? This is potentially significant.

Why dont you put some picture on your computer, delet it and ask them to find it for you as proof

Sounds completely impausible! And from the fact that you found out this story after checking his email without him knowing, I guess there is a trust issue there already.

So either you decide to have to decide to believe him and let it go or you dig deeper (as long as you are prepared for the possibility of an outcome that you do not like).

The way I see it . . .

If someone in my office was going to play this trick I can think of a million easier ways to go about it. First would be to take a photo of the relevant person.

Then proceed with the rest of the plan - there is no need for anyone to hack into your computer.

And *if* they somehow managed to get into your computer (ignoring the fact they would have to locate it first) how on earth would they know of the existence of the photo to start with, let alone know what it was called and that it was in the recycle bin.

The only possible way I think it could have been a 3rd party would be where either of you said in conversation that you had this particular photo (maybe it was nude, maybe weird, whatever, but worthy of comment to a friend) and someone then got the idea of the scheme based on the existence of that photo. Maybe (like <1% probablity) that person had enough tech skills to locate your computer out there on the internet, exploit it and gain access and track down the photo. If I was a betting man I know which way I would be going with this one.

However, it is vital to understand that in cases like this there is nothing other than circumstantial evidence since IP address details don't prove who actually was using the machine at the time. At best it can give you a good indication when combined with other info (e.g. I think we were asleep at that time) and at worst it can lead you down the wrong tracks to the wrong conclusion.

z

well remember that if you register to any site/forum etc, they normally send you a 'confirmation email' to the email address provided.

This could be the email, no ? Or was the email a confirmation of having his Gluteus Maximus posted ?

Bushfire,
What can i say, I cant really elaborate on them, I only opened one of the images when I discovered them, the descriptions of the rest were enough for me !

i been following this thread all day and it's been keeping me greatly amused - hilarious stuff

S.

Back