Habitual Residence clause in Disability Allowance

max

In claiming Disability Allowance, there is a clause called Habitual Residence.

http://www.welfare.ie/publications/sw108.html

When you are applying for disability allowance, does this Habitual Residence clause only apply retrospectively, or does one need to be habitually resident throughout the period for which you are claiming i.e. from the date you claim onwards?

In order to get Disablity Allowance in the first place, you must be considered habitually resident here fro previous two years so I don't know what you mean when you say "throughout the period for which you are claiming". If you mean can you leave the counrty adn still claim DAm,, then the answer is no, you have to live here as it is a means-tested payment.

What if you were habitually resident at the time of submitting the claim, and then subsequently leave the country (for a long period, > 6mths) after your application has been approved?

As I said above, if you leave the country, you cannot continue to claim DA so the question of being habitually resident is no longer relevant. When you return and re-claim the HRC will be re-examined.

I've been looking at the conditions attached to Illness benefit also, could someone be claiming this and be resident abroad (provided you met the prsi conditions)?

This from the Welfare site......
" 11. Does living or working in another EU country affect my Illness Benefit?
You may continue to get Illness Benefit if you have lived or worked in Ireland and you have lived or worked, or are going to live or work, in another country covered by EC Regulations. (Please see above for the list of countries covered by these Regulations).

Going to another country covered by EC Regulations
If you get Illness Benefit from this Department and you intend to move to another country covered by EC Regulations, tell us as soon as possible. If you don't tell us, you may lose some payment or your payment may be delayed.

If you receive Illness Benefit in Ireland from another country covered by EC Regulations, you should let the country that pays you know if you move abroad.

If you go to live in another country covered by EC Regulations and become ill, you may apply for Illness Benefit from Ireland as long as you got Jobseekers Benefit from Ireland (before going abroad) or you paid your last insurance contribution in Ireland."

Back