Gutter Dividers

eisfspike

Hi All,

I am wondering if anyone has heard of a gutter divider? My neighbors gutters are a mess, in fact i would say any day now they will come down along with the fascia and sofit. TBH i don't really think its my place to tell them to fix up their house as they have plants etc growing out of the gutters - pure lazy. Anyway I want to divide my gutter and put a dam in of some sort as all their debris keeps getting washed into my gutters which i clean. I don't see anything on the market but i wonder if i got some wire mesh, drilled a hole in the gutter, fix with cable ties and use silicone to seal around the cable ties. Would this work? Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Yes I believe so. Even if there wasn't and I put this divider in, is it not a kick in the ass for them to clean their gutters? I am surprised if water even flows through their side as their gutters overflow in parts and pours on to the ground.

You can get a stop end for the gutter, you could get a down-pipe outlet which hangs from the gutter that has a stop end on it and there are many other alternatives you could make up. You should go into a good builders providers with a sample of your gutter and down-pipe so they have its size and they'll explain all the alternatives to you.

I am wondering if anyone has heard of a gutter divider? My neighbors gutters are a mess, in fact i would say any day now they will come down along with the fascia and sofit. TBH i don't really think its my place to tell them to fix up their house as they have plants etc growing out of the gutters - pure lazy. Anyway I want to divide my gutter and put a dam in of some sort as all their debris keeps getting washed into my gutters which i clean. I don't see anything on the market
I am so with you on this eisfspike! I had my roof and gutters cleaned, but there is only one downpipe, at the far end of my gutter, to drain both houses. I asked the man who cleaned my gutters whether such a device existed, and he said not. If I put a stop end at the gutter border the water would spill over down my walls too.
I really don't see why I should have to undertake the cleaning because the neighbours can't be bothered. Their moss is blocking my grates if I don't remove the mess.

If I put a stop end at the gutter border the water would spill over down my walls too.

Yep, that's the big problem here.

OP, if you block the gutter, you are potentially creating a situation that will cause damage to both properties and leave you liable for the bill. Try talk to them, they might be oblivious, but until your discuss it you won't know.

I am so with you on this eisfspike! I had my roof and gutters cleaned, but there is only one downpipe, at the far end of my gutter, to drain both houses. I asked the man who cleaned my gutters whether such a device existed, and he said not. If I put a stop end at the gutter border the water would spill over down my walls too.
I really don't see why I should have to undertake the cleaning because the neighbours can't be bothered. Their moss is blocking my grates if I don't remove the mess.

Yeah its just frustrating. I think i am going to create my little gadget as outlined above and see how it goes. I am not going to completely block it up but the wire mesh should allow the water through but not moss. That's the theory any way! :)

OP, if you block the gutter, you are potentially creating a situation that will cause damage to both properties and leave you liable for the bill. Try talk to them, they might be oblivious, but until your discuss it you won't know.

100% agree however they are so lazy that nothing will be done. I've sent two separate roofers into them (who were working on my house) to explain that there is a real risk of the gutters coming down and nothing has been done. I felt it would be easier for them to say it rather then me bearing in mind i think there is slight resentment on their part as we are always doing something on our house. BTW this is not an issue of money also like maybe they cant afford to do the work, they have two BMW's and put in a new expensive bathroom so they are selective on what they spend their money on.

I've sent two separate roofers into them (who were working on my house) to explain that there is a real risk of the gutters coming down and nothing has been done. I felt it would be easier for them to say it rather then me bearing in mind i think there is slight resentment on their part as we are always doing something on our house.

If someone called in to my house telling me there are issues I would chase them as well. With so many stories of scammers operating in that fashion, the standard consumer advice is not to entertain any tradesman who calls to your door in such a manner.

the wire mesh should allow the water through but not moss. That's the theory any way

I have a shed at my holiday home and I have chicken wire at the top of the downpipe to trap debris etc. but I find that I have to regularly clean it out. If I don't, the water backs up and overflows so damming the gutter in any way will cause water to overflow.

Last edited:
Ha ha, I know a fair few of these type, BMW's as well and I bet they haven't a brass farthing to rub together. I'm serious by the way[/QUOTE]

Back