Guitar Recommendation

Happy Girl

Have a 9yr old who wants to learn to play the guitar. Don't know what to go looking for. Local shop recommended Tenson guitar (3/4 size) but I felt it was quite expensive (100euro) for a child beginning and this was the only brand they supplied so they were hardly going to recommend another brand. Some people say steel strings, others say nylon. Am just a little confused :confused:. Any of u Bob Dylans give me some suggestions as to what to go shopping for?

Hi Happy Girl - do you think the child is serious about it?

Firstly, €100 is not expensive for an acoustic guitar - it's cheap.
But there's no point splashing out if it's just a phase or whim that they will grow out of in a few months. However, they will certainly rapidly lose interest/confidence and will be put off if they are frustrated by a badly made low quality guitar that is impossible to keep in tune, awkward to play and has poor sound. Don't be tempted to buy sub €100 guitars. (I've never heard of Tenson BTW - but that doesn't necessarily mean anything)

Could you make a trip to The Sound Shop in Drogheda? The people there are knowledgeable, very helpful and they have a large range to suit every budget.

Whatever you choose make sure:

1. It is a steel stringed guitar (unless your little one was inspired to learn by classical or flamenco music - which is largely what nylon stringed guitars are intended for).

2. It is a guitar they feel comfortable with. Make sure they are not over reaching or that the guitar is too big or too small.

3.That if s/he takes to it and has talent, you are prepared to spend a few hundred euro not very far down the line on a better guitar - a €100 guitar will reveal it's limitations very soon to someone who learns quickly.

Good luck!

I would definitely recommend a nylion string guitar.

Nylon is not just for clasical/flamenco - i have been playing guitar for a couple of decades atthis point and while i do play a little bit of classical, i mainoly just strum tunes.

FOr a nine year old a nylon is far eaier in teh fingers (plus i think it's a nicer sound)

The hardest bit I found when learing as a kid was the pain barrier.

I would advise agianst a steel string guitar especially for a kid with such tender finger tips Im sure. Takes months to develope the tough finger tips if the pain does not get you down before that. From this poit of view the nylon is much more forgiving.

You can still strum a nylon guitar with a pick in the same way as a steel string guitar but also its much easier to use finger style picking ( strmming with fingers or nails or plucking individual strings ) on a nylon than on a steel.
So from that point of view a nylon has a + 1 on a steel IMO.

100 is cheap and the main thing is that it can stay in tune really. Almost impossible to know withouttaking it home and playing for a while.

You must know some one who can play and go into a shop and just try a few and help pick one with a nice sound.

Deffo go 3/4 size im sure the kid is not "full" size why should the guitar.

My own anecdotal evidence suggests 4 in 10 kids continue guitar rght through so dont spend money until you see committment and deffo desire from the kid to keep on going.

Do promise upgrades with improvement how ever. I used to get a new guitar every year as I go better. Funny timing now Im buying for myself these days im in the market for real Fender that I always wanted to treat myself too.

good luck

Whilst nylon will certainly be easier on the fingers, it's a bit like learning to drive with an automatic: I think it's better they know the meaning of pain early on ;)

I learned on a steel string as a child - the pain isn't that bad.

I really think zxcvbnm is in the minority - I've been playing for 25 years and I know many hobbyists, dedicated amateurs and professionals - not one of them play a nylon stringed guitar as their instrument of choice.

Don't forget lessons - will probably need at least 20 1 hour lessons.

Back