Guide to Mortgage Arrears Code published

Brendan Burgess

Founder
The Central Bank has today published a [broken link removed]

And an [broken link removed]with the following questions

Frequently Asked Questions
1. Dealing with mortgage arrears
a. What should I do if I have difficulties keeping up the repayments on my mortgage?
b. How can I get independent advice about dealing with my mortgage arrears problem?
c. I am afraid to contact the lender. What should I do?
d. Will my lender have staff available to discuss the difficulties I am experiencing meeting my mortgage repayments?
e. If I need information about my mortgage account without delay, in order to apply for state support, will my lender provide it?
f. I am afraid my lender will not be sympathetic about my situation if I cannot keep up my mortgage repayments. What should I do?
g. I am having difficulty keeping up the repayments on my rental property. Is my lender obliged to comply with the Mortgage Arrears Code in this case?
h. Is my lender allowed to contact me to discuss my mortgage repayments?
i. I went into mortgage arrears in 2009. Am I covered by the revised Code of Conduct on Mortgage Arrears?
2. Agreeing an alternative repayment schedule with your lender
a. I can afford to pay some of the mortgage - will my lender accept this?
b. If I cannot afford to pay all the interest on my mortgage, will I be charged penalties?
c. I am on a tracker mortgage – can my lender put me on a higher rate or a different type of rate?
d. What information will I have to give to my lender in order to agree an alternative repayment schedule?
e. Is my lender obliged to come to some arrangement with me?
f. If my lender will not offer me an alternative repayment arrangement, can I appeal their decision?
3. Repossessions
a. Am I likely to have my home repossessed?
b. My lender is threatening to start legal action to repossess my home - are they allowed to?
c. Can my home be repossessed if I miss a payment?
d. If the lender agrees a new arrangement and I keep up repayments can they repossess?
4. Complaints
a. How do I make a complaint under the Code of Conduct on Mortgage Arrears?

Back