Grounds for Search Warrant: guards arrived at my house with a SWarrant for drugs

Re: Grounds for Search Warrant

Okay, let me put it this way. If the gardaí had entered my home with a warrant, carried out a search while my mother was upstairs frightened in bed and my son was in the house and as a result of all of this all of my neighbours now thought I was a drug dealer I would not hesitate to make a complaint. Particularly given the fact that the search was utterly unfounded.

While I understand what you are saying about making a complaint - what is it you think can happen to you that is worse then what has already happened?? According to you they have made a big mistake, do you really think that if you complain about the mistake they will then compound it by harassing you or something?? What exactly are you afraid of?

Also, you say that you are of the opinion that the gardaí stick together and will be 'waiting in the long grass for you' if you dare to cross them - what are you basing this opinion on?

Maybe Dom is new to the country. I'm from up North and in my, completely law-abiding, experience its best not to cross the peelers. When I came here, my new colleagues talked many times to each other and myself about corruption and gardai colleagues covering each other's backs and how things haven't changed.

Let sleeping dogs lie goes the expression and many would rather forget an incident than raise the possibility of creating new grief for themselves. I can understand that.

Last edited:

Maybe Dom is new to the country. I'm from up North and in my, completely law-abiding, experience its best not to cross the peelers. When I came here, my new colleagues here have talked many times to each other and myself about corruption and gardai colleagues covering each other's backs and how things haven't changed.

Let sleeping dogs lie goes the expression and many would rather forget an incident than raise the possibility of creating new grief for themselves. I can understand that.

If the Op complaints to GSOC then it's out of his hands - it's not like he will have to question the gardaí himself. This is not a case of a garda incorrectly doing you for speeding. The gardaí entered his home with a warrant and the OP has the right to know where the information to build up a case against him came from!, he is not naming particular gardaí but rather complaining about the manner in which and the information behind the issuing of a warrant. I cannot think of one valid reason why somebody would not take this further and rumors and innuendo about collusion between gardaí just wouldn't cut it for me!

I cannot think of one valid reason why somebody would not take this further and rumors and innuendo about collusion between gardaí just wouldn't cut it for me!

If I were the OP I wouldn't be completely confident. It's more than just rumour and innuendo - there are plenty of documented cases of corruption within the gardaí.

Having experienced collusion, prevarication and cover ups myself during the course of a relatively innocent complaint via a supposedly neutral process, (not gardaí) I too can understand the OP's reticence.

What could happen that could be worse then 9 gardaí and sniffer dog searching your home leaving all of your neighbours thinking that you are a drug dealer when you are completely innocent :confused:

The fact is, all of this could come back on the OP, he may still be listed as a 'suspect' somewhere. If they got enough info to search house then they damn sure have a file somewhere on him. What happens if OP applies for a new job or something and even though he has never been convicted, his address shows up as having been searched for drugs?. The only way to deal with this is to follow it through to it's conclusion not listen to horror stories about complaining about gardaí. Not complaining is what gives the corrupt gardaí their power!

The fact is, all of this could come back on the OP, he may still be listed as a 'suspect' somewhere. If they got enough info to search house then they damn sure have a file somewhere on him. What happens if OP applies for a new job or something and even though he has never been convicted, his address shows up as having been searched for drugs?

I agree that this should be addressed but the OP's solicitor I'm sure can sort this aspect out easily enough without going through the whole complaint procedure - which, apart from anything else by the way, could take months or even years.

peace commissioners cannot sign warrants any more and if you read a section 26 warrant it says from memory at time or times within 1month. but what would i know i was a detective for only 30 years and only worked in a drugs unit.

the house belonging to friends of mine was searched by gardai for drugs shortly after they moved in to it.

Gardai found nothing, but it turns out the previous tenants were dealing in drugs.,

could it be a case of a previous resident in the house being the cause of the search.

Thnks for all your replies. As you may have gathered i'm not the best with the English prose. In answer I am Irish and have been all my life, it is the family home and my father was in the guards all his life.

"The gardaí entered his home with a warrant and the OP has the right to know where the information to build up a case against him came from!, he is not naming particular gardaí but rather complaining about the manner in which and the information behind the issuing of a warrant."

What ney001 said above is what i am trying to get. Will I get a result from the GSOC in this regard.

peace commissioners cannot sign warrants any more and if you read a section 26 warrant it says from memory at time or times within 1month. but what would i know i was a detective for only 30 years and only worked in a drugs unit.
Why would you go back and search a house more than once in the month?

because the warrant states that you can and maybe there were no drugs there the first time.

The crooks must be really stupid to have drugs there the second time. Surely you show them the warrant and allow them to read it when you enter?

of course you do but they dont read it that well. and if they are dealing in drugs they have to be stupid

Personally, I think that the ability to re-enter is more appropriate for white collar investigations - where you need to be able to sift through realms of data, which may be on computers, and you also need to talk to and question people on the premises to get an idea of the storage systems etc. as well as meaning of various documents.

I have never come across a situation where this power was actually used i.e. guards re-entered premises at a later day during period of warrants validity.

Back