Grounds for complaining about planning application

Toby

Does anyone know the grounds on which you can base a complaint about a planning application or is there an official list online somewhere. i.e. can reduction of light to your house or privacy etc. be used as valid grounds for complaint? I thought I'd seen one before but can't find on Co Council site. Thanks.

Yes you can object on the basis of reduction of light. Athough I cannot put my finger on where exactly you can obtain an extensive list perhaps a good starting point is with environ.ie

ninsaga

Toby said:
Does anyone know the grounds on which you can base a complaint about a planning application or is there an official list online somewhere. i.e. can reduction of light to your house or privacy etc. be used as valid grounds for complaint? I thought I'd seen one before but can't find on Co Council site. Thanks.
Im not being harsh here but it sounds to me as if you want to object just for the sake of it and are looking for "ideas" to back up your objection.

Toby, what is the problem and how will it affect you? Is it to do with a neighbouring property, the roadway, more information would be usefull.

Grounds for complaining are far too vast to state without seeing the application.
Here are some:
What is your major concern with the proposal:
effects on your property? light, privacy, noise, loss of value, nuisance, etc.
aesthetics?
Planning concerns - aesthetics, not in keeping etc., amount of traffic created, overdevelopment of the area, breaching Planning guidelines, applicant not fulfilling local housing need requirement etc., concerns about the applicant's proposed usage of the building (that (s)he may have an ulterior motive for the application etc.)
Lack of information in Planning application, incorrectly filled out application etc.

if you are serious about complaining, go to a local architect or a good firm of engineers.

nutty nut said:
Im not being harsh here but it sounds to me as if you want to object just for the sake of it and are looking for "ideas" to back up your objection.

This is not at all the case as I'd much prefer to live in peace and harmony with my neighbours. I just don't want to waste my time and rock the boat by complaining on invalid grounds as I know from helping a friend in a similar matter that there is an official list of acceptable complaints. However, the proposed development will significantly affect us in terms of privacy and light and from these responses it sounds like those are perfectly valid places to start. Thanks.

From my knowledge, light has been removed as a reason for objecting in relation to residential applications (ie neighbour extension) etc. There is no set list of grounds on which you can object, however, there are specific areas you should cover such such as those already outlined above (the zoning of the area, the zoning of the lands proposed for development, validity of application, purpose of proposal etc). I objected to something last year and got some advice from a planning consultant as to how best to object. I was advised your objection should be well written and presented, must include your full name, address and telephone number and must include valid reasons for objection and the specifics of the proposal that you are objecting to. Buzz words to use are those like 'adverse impact on residential property', potential environmental concerns, detrimential impact on the value / use / enjoyment of your property, and danger to public safety (site lines too tight etc), 'blending' in with existing properties, appropriateness of proposal etc.

Have a look on Dublin City Councils website for details of how to object, if you do decide to go ahead, the last thing you need to do is subject an invalid objection and miss the cut off date. Best of luck.

Light can be used as a ground for objection - but the minimum light criteria are probably not as much as you might hope. Check out the BRE 1991 Sunlight / Daylight rules, which is the standard which has been adopted here. (informally borrowed from the U.K.) SMMB's post is good - a significant point is not to seem like someone who objects to everything. You'll damage your argument if you seem too unreasonable -so don't make ridiculous accusations.

Thanks for the guidelines, I'll ring the Co Co for more specifics. There are just a few specific aspects to the planned build that we object to so we'll stick to that.

A neighbour of mine in my last house wanted to build a bungalow at the end of his garden with access from a side pedestrian laneway. I remember objecting on the grounds that if there was a fire in the property, the firebrigade could not access the house due to the narrowness of the lane.

Are planning objections made available to the planning applicant before or after the decision has been reached?

In Mayo you can check online , all the relevant correspondance is there, including any objections. Im not sure if all county council have so much info online

Back