Gross pay and reduced wages

lcdposter

I've been on illness benefit for few months last year and because of that my employer kept reducing my wages. At some stage I was earning very little. How would that relate to paid tax, I am pretty sure I've been charged the tax from full wages and not reduced rate. This year I applied for p21 and I have underpayment because they added up illness benefit to my gross pay. The thing is there is a huge difference between my gross pay and my net pay that actually landed on my bank account. Usually when you substract paid tax/usc from gross pay you get net pay, right? But not in my case, did my employer calculated the tax incorrectly? Should I ask for a refund?

Have you received your p60 from your employer for 2016.

This should show your gross pay, what was actually paid rather than what would have been paid if you had not been off, all the deductions and your net.

You should be able to check each item then and see if there is an issue.

I think I know what's wrong here. I double checked my p45 added up everything and it works. The problem is my gross pay on p45 includes my illness benefit, but revenue added it up thinking it doesnt, so it is counted twice.

Last edited:
That can happen. The simplest and quickest thing is probably to ring Revenue. You will spend a while trying to get the right person, but they are usually good once you do talk to them.

Back