Griffith Avenue Area

taytoman

CAn anyone tell me a bit about this area, in terms of primary / secondary schools, where metro north runs in relation to this area and general info on area. Looking at a house on close to junction of griffith avenue and swords road, but not familiar with area.

Busy roads. I grew up off the Rise (Ballymun Road end of Griffith Ave). Went to school in Corpus Christi (Homefarm Road) and Dominican College (Griffith Avenue), both excellent girls schools.

I know St Pats (boy's primary) and Maryfield (girl's secondary), St Aidan's (boy's secondary) and the Dominican on Botanic Road (can't for the life of me think of the name now - it's a mixed Gaelscoil) have all got good reputations as well.

Hi

I also grew up around this area. There are a number of primary schools in the area:St Vincent De Paul Marino, CBS Marino, Corpus Christi, St Mary's(not 100% sure on the name) in Fairview (located off Philipsburgh ave) and a small Church of Ireland school off Grace Park Road.

In terms of secondary schools:
Girls:Maryfield, Dominican College, other schools in Beaumont, Glasnevin etc
Boys:Ard Scoil Ris, Rosmini, St Aidans
Mixed: Gealscoil (near Na Fianna GAA club) and Mount Temple (Malahide Road)
Third Level:
DCU and various other small places that do Plc and repeat leaving and night courses

Local Area
As the previous poster said very busy roads but hugely better since the Port Tunnell opened (HGV's always used Griffith Ave previously)
Lots of pubs, easy access to local shops and shopping centres (OmniPark Santry, Northside in Coolock, Artane Castle etc)
Very easy access to town, takes 15mins on bus to get to town on weekday mornings (loads of buses service this area-16's, 41's 13A, 3,51A, 123,33's, 11, 19)
Last but not least:Bertie lives there!!!!:rolleyes:

Does anyone know what the Greenhills Road off the Finglas Road is like? I have a intense fear of shiny tracksuits and bad hair so I am a little on edge as you can imagine

Does anyone know what the Greenhills Road off the Finglas Road is like? I have a intense fear of shiny tracksuits and bad hair so I am a little on edge as you can imagine

Maybe you mean Glenhill? Pretty quiet 1970s (privately-built) estate opposite Tesco?

Griffith Avenue stretches from Marino to Rathoath Road. Off the Finglas Road towards Dunsink is not a great area.

I used to live on Griffith Avenue, Philipsburgh avenue part, and I have to say, I loved it there. There's a real community atmosphere in the area, local grocery, baker and butchers which are real local shops. Could walk into the city centre in half an hour too.
Sorry can't help with schools in terms of quality as I was footloose and fancy free in those days, but I know that there are plenty in the area.

Hi,

The Metro North is supposed to come out of St Stephens Green, up O' Connell St, then Parnell Sq, then Drumcondra/junction of Griffith Ave I think, then it seems to swerve to the left and head up the Ballymun Rd to DCU, then onwards to Ballymun and airport, then Swords. Up to DCU it is apparently supposed to be underground or as someone said ' in a trench' not quite sure how that would look

Going off topic a little as like the previous poster I live near the Griffith Avenue /Philipsburgh Avenue area and I love it love it love it. You will not go wrong if you buy in this area.

There is a marvellous community feeling, people converse with each other in the shops and up and down the roads, (Shops on Phil Avenue are bakery, supermarket, hairdressers, newsagents, 2 butchers incl. one craft butchers, dry cleaners and a proper old-fashioned hardware shop which always has what you need). There are two small circles/greens in the Marino area behind Philipsburgh Avenue and kids practise soccer l on them on Sundays. Every year there is a family day for the kids on the greens with bouncy castles, go karts etc.
There is the well-known St Vincents GAA for the kids, also its arch opponents Na Fianna in Glasnevin.

School are top class too as previous posters mentioned. The Vincent de Paul infants school on Griffith Ave is very good (boys and girls up to first class) as is Ard Scoil Ris (for boys, secondary).

You could walk into town from there but if not feeling up to that there is the 123 bus on Griffith Avenue into town or any amount of buses along the Malahide Road/Fairview Strand route. The DART is a bit of a walk away in Clontarf.

Very reluctantly we are going to have to move in the short term as we need a house with a big garden for or our growing family and I can't find anywhere as convenient and as friendly near the city that matches this area (or at least that we can afford)...

Back