greenfly

Samantha

How can you get rid of them ? I have a beautiful rose climber but it is now affected by these bloody insects and my climber looks rather dull now. Do you know a good product to exterminate it ?

Thanks

Use sudsy water (washing up liquid) every so often to remove them. Alternatively something like Bug Gun or RoseCare (not sure of the manufacturers' names).

Thanks Clubman,

I will try the washing up liquid first and if it doesn't work I will use the products you mention.

Hi Samantha,

I find a good squirt from the hose washes most of them off ... a ladybird can eat up to 10000 in a day ... so maybe you could get some ladybirds mail order.

Coincidentally, I'd hardly seen any ladybirds each summer for years but have noticed an increase in the numbers the last couple of years.

I am going ladybird hunting so .

By the way, the washing up liquid in the water works great but I guess I would have to do it quite often.

Hopefully, I will found ladybird who will be quite happy to leave in my climbing rose. Fingers cross

Samantha said:
By the way, the washing up liquid in the water works great but I guess I would have to do it quite often.

Not too much more often than you'd have to spray with a pest killer.

Just doing this myself today and I found that putting some washing up liquid in water in a vaporising spray bottle works well.

I use lux (pure soap flakes) instead of washing up liquid, I think there are more salts in the washing up liquid?? Either way, it does work, but you have to keep an eye out for the b***ds coming back!! The leaves that are damaged will stay that way too, but the new growth will be fine.

"Bloody hell! They're [broken link removed]!"

Most ladies aren't!! :D

Love ladybirds - they're lovely to look at and a lot nicer than most flying insects.

I like them too but not enough to spend €90 on 100! I'll stick to searching for them in the back garden.

I have a rose garden and I find the most effective treatment is Roseclear which also helps to prevent blackspot etc, for maximum protection I spray them every two weeks and I am rewarded with beautiful roses for about six months of the year.Might change me name to Franmac O'neill
or
Franmac Daly

"Roseclear 3" deals with Blackspot, Mildew, and Greenfly in one spray. It is available in Woodies. You need to spray every 14 days during the season.

Henny,

You've heard of bartering - I'll give you a Pat's supporter a.k.a husband for the ladybird :D

Back