Greencaps gone from Dublin Airport

dub_nerd

You used to be able to leave car keys/parking ticket for someone at the Greencaps desk in Dublin Airport. I see from their website that: "In 2016 Greencaps changed its core focus and no longer operate on the Dublin Airport campus." (They seem to have switched to making ice-cream! o_O)

[broken link removed]

Any idea if there's an equivalent service and what, if anything, has replaced them?

Ah. I see.

Why not bring two sets of car keys.

And leave the parking ticket in the car?

Brendan
In the past when transport was not so good people with one car in the family often got someone to collect collect car for them they may be working or passing by airport and not have no way of getting 2nd set of keys before collecting car .very common in the past not just at airports and for all kind of reasons,

Ah. I see.

Why not bring two sets of car keys.

And leave the parking ticket in the car?

Brendan

Ah! You've just spotted a fly in the ointment that I had forgotten about. Nowadays there isn't any ticket if you prepay your parking, and it costs twice as much unless you prepay. From Dublin Airport FAQ, if you prepay:
  • You must insert the same credit/debit card used to make the online booking and the system will then identify your booking and raise the barrier
  • You are also required to enter the same credit/debit card at the exit when leaving the car park
This applies to the short term and long term car parks. So you'd have to leave your credit card in the car which would be pretty foolish, and probably not possible if you need it with you on your travels.

However, I've been on to the Quickpark carpark -- the one on the Swords road that isn't operated by Dublin Airport. They allow you to leave instructions at the manned office on site about having someone else pick up the car. Forgot to ask them if it is manned 24 hours though.

EDIT: they confirmed that it's manned 24/7.

Last edited:
can you use the reg of car to opens the barrier if you pre pay,

can you use the reg of car to opens the barrier if you pre pay,
No. You'll still be asked for your credit card. I don't know if that always happens, but it definitely happens most of the time. Stands to reason, otherwise a thief could hotwire a car and just drive it away.

Yes, the barrier opens automatically when it reads your reg no. I have used the pre booked many times and have never had to insert the credit card

Yes, the barrier opens automatically when it reads your reg no. I have used the pre booked many times and have never had to insert the credit card
Which car park was it as a matter of interest, and how recently? Has been different for me and, as I noted above, the Dublin Airport FAQ concurs.

Hi Dub.. I was in the Red last week and the Green in June. I have also used the T2 multi Storey in March.

I see the FAQ you mention, but I have never had the system not recognise the number plate.

The FAQ also says the barrier will lift automatically. I

What do I need to do when I arrive at my pre-booked car park?
  • Drive to your pre-booked car park
  • Stop at the entry barrier
  • The system will read your vehicle licence plate and once it matches the licence plate details provided in your online booking the barrier will automatically lift

Thanks for the info. Maybe I'm mixing it up with my non-prepay visits to the short term. But anyway, don't want to take the chance that the other person will get asked for a card, and since the long terms are half the price of the short term I might as well use Quickpark anyway. They've also got a "park and retrieve your car for you" premium service, which means the other person won't have to go hunting for it. I'll give it a short.

With quickpark prepay you don't need credit card to exit, but you need a QR code that they email you.
I was used to car registration being enough, so was lucky I still had it.

Back