green areas in housing parks/estates

dewdrop

in yesterdays sunday times article re possibility of green areas being used for house building. am i correct in saying that when a local authority takes over an estate this means they are responsably for water sewerage roads etc but is does not mean they take ownership of the green areas. my query is about old parks. i appreciate that in new developments the green areas may be vested in management companies. i think the concern is that the successors of the freehold owner of the green areas might decide to try and build..seek planning etc. is this a realistic fear and if so what practical steps can be taken apart from watching planning notices.

You are perfectly entitled to build on any land you own if you have planning permission. The owner is the person who's name is on the deeds - could be council, management company, developer, unrelated 3rd party etc.

The "Tank" field in Cork City is due to be re-zoned by the City Reps to allow a Gael Scoil be buillt on it. PD's SF FG all support the change, at least the Greens do not...The locals do'nt want it changed from open space use. Now if the City Public Reps will not protect what little open green space there is in the City who will ??? July 9th is the vote....
I think it is just so short sighted ....

Now if the City Public Reps will not protect what little open green space there is in the City who will ???

You live in a democracy and these people are your representatives. The votes of these people represent the will of the majority of people in your local authority area. Whereas you may care deeply about this issue and may be very justified in your opposition, maybe your fellow citizens dont care about green spaces or think they will benefit from its development.

The "Inse Bay" estate in Laytown had this battle recently when the estate developer applied for planning permission to build on what were designated green areas. The residents closest to the green areas had apparently paid extra to live next to greenery!
Despite a campaign by the residents, the developer got permission for 50 dwellings in 2006.
Discussed on boards.ie

Back